ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is Linux just a hobby?

<< < (33/36) > >>

superboyac:
^^Thanks 40, good stuff there.  I'll have to go through those eventually.  Maybe I'll do more videos like that showing me struggling through all this in real time!

PS: did you have anyone operating the camera or is it smart enough to follow you?
-jgpaiva (July 24, 2012, 09:54 AM)
--- End quote ---
It follows me automatically.  It's the new Logitech 920 webcam, I've really been digging it lately.

mahesh2k:
Nice video there superboyac.

wraith808:
^^Thanks 40, good stuff there.
-superboyac (July 24, 2012, 02:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Definitely agreed on that point!

One of these days I'm going to have to write this all up once and for all and put it in a PDF for download. :P
-40hz (July 24, 2012, 02:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

What's stopping you?  That's some good info!

Tuxman:
^ If you start with Ubuntu, you will learn a lot about how Linux does not work.

(Yay, 1,000th posting!)

jgpaiva:
^^Thanks 40, good stuff there.  I'll have to go through those eventually.  Maybe I'll do more videos like that showing me struggling through all this in real time!
--- End quote ---
+1!
I'd really like to see more, it's always fun to understand where people have problems with anything on the first time they use it. Even if I'm not developing a OS, it's a learning experience since it allows to predict what kind of stuff works badly.

It follows me automatically.  It's the new Logitech 920 webcam, I've really been digging it lately.
--- End quote ---
Awesome :) And it works perfectly!

Also, since I have some more time now, here's the two largest problems I believe stomped you:
1 - directories in unix are case sensitive ("Downloads" and not "downloads" ;) )
2 - you were missing some dependencies. In particular, your distribution runs the Gnomew window manager, and the program you tried to install needs KDEw. This is a common problem, but had you used some package manager instead of installing from source and you wouldn't have this problem.

Also, there's a third way to install stuff (which is mostly painless) that you haven't tried (which is the one that is equivalent to installing stuff in Windows): downloading compiled binaries and installing them using a package manager ("apt-get" or "aptitude", for example). An example of this is Opera.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version