ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is Linux just a hobby?

<< < (29/36) > >>

jgpaiva:
 ;D ;D ;D This thread certainly has taken a funny turn!
superboyac: I'm looking forward to that screencast. I'm actually curious about how complicated that can get. Have you selected the program yet? That makes all the difference, I guess (especially if you select one that isn't in the repositories). I suggest something simple such as rythmbox (if that's installed already, then try banshee). Then maybe you can try something that is not in the repositories, such as Opera. I'm pretty sure you'll be surprised how the first one is so simple, and YMMV for the second one :P

app: actually that's a good question, can linux's taskbar be that scary?  ;D I don't think it can get that large (why would anyone want it like that?  :P), but I may be wrong.

app103:
I don't think it can get that large
-jgpaiva (July 19, 2012, 07:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, it can get that large, at least in Ubuntu. But unfortunately, it doesn't mean more room for more icons. It can only hold the same amount, but the icons resize themselves to be HUGE!

why would anyone want it like that?
--- End quote ---

Some people hate wading through menus looking for the apps they want to run, hate all the clicking to get to the folders and files they use often. Some people don't like remembering where those files and folders are located. And some people have never used the taskbar any other way. And for some people, the preference may be genetic. (3 generations of my family prefer their taskbar this way) ;)

jgpaiva:
Yes, it can get that large, at least in Ubuntu. But unfortunately, it doesn't mean more room for more icons. It can only hold the same amount, but the icons resize themselves to be HUGE!
-app103 (July 19, 2012, 07:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, that does look like a poor design decision. So, basically, it doesn't wrap to more lines? But if you're really interested in setting it up like that, I'm sure we could find a way somehow to do something similar. I'd say we might have to take a look at KDE instead of gnome, though.

why would anyone want it like that?
--- End quote ---
(sic)
-app103 (July 19, 2012, 07:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm sorry, I was being silly but my comedic tone did not transpire from my writing. I know fully well how much you really like it like that :)

superboyac:
;D ;D ;D This thread certainly has taken a funny turn!
superboyac: I'm looking forward to that screencast. I'm actually curious about how complicated that can get. Have you selected the program yet? That makes all the difference, I guess (especially if you select one that isn't in the repositories). I suggest something simple such as rythmbox (if that's installed already, then try banshee). Then maybe you can try something that is not in the repositories, such as Opera. I'm pretty sure you'll be surprised how the first one is so simple, and YMMV for the second one :P

app: actually that's a good question, can linux's taskbar be that scary?  ;D I don't think it can get that large (why would anyone want it like that?  :P), but I may be wrong.
--- End quote ---
No I haven't picked a program.  I'm going to do it all in realtime, everything.  Just so everyone can see how easy or difficult it will be for me.  I was just playing with yawcam, a free webcam software.  Very nice!

Steven Avery:
Hi,

More recent attempt .. about 3 months back ..I picked up one of those English mag DVDs with about 3 or 4 recent Linux installs.  I tried them on 2 different puters.  They always got a glitch before the install was finished, sometimes with all sorts of scrolling text junque.

The only thing I remember was that the nature of the glitch varied by the Linux flavor.

Occasionally I try to burn a Linux install myself  Then I don't usually get as far as I did with the DVDs above.

Steven

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version