ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is Linux just a hobby?

<< < (24/36) > >>

Tuxman:
... Also, RTFM is the most helpful answer I could imagine. If everyone would RTFM more, there were no stupid questions anymore.

Answering your questions might help you in one special case, but it can not teach you the Whys and Whats.

jgpaiva:
apt-get is officially deprecated, usage of aptitude is encouraged.
-Tuxman (July 19, 2012, 03:46 AM)
--- End quote ---
Actually, aptitude was removed in the most recent versions of ubuntu. I do agree with you, though: its conflict resolution is much superior to apt-get.

Also you don't have to know exact package names, modern package managers are able to suggest the right package when you type the binary name.
--- End quote ---
Also, there's "apt-get search". Very useful stuff indeed.

... Also, RTFM is the most helpful answer I could imagine. If everyone would RTFM more, there were no stupid questions anymore.
-Tuxman (July 19, 2012, 03:50 AM)
--- End quote ---
I don't think so. The manual was built for people who have reached a certain level of knowledge. If you can't understand what it says, search on it, switch pages, etc then it's useless. Also, the manual does not answer questions like "how can I install new software" unless you know where to look, which would require you to also know the answer to your question :P

Tuxman:
Actually, aptitude was removed in the most recent versions of ubuntu.-jgpaiva (July 19, 2012, 04:14 AM)
--- End quote ---
Hahaha, Ubuntu. Being different is their only purpose.
Debian tells us the opposite. :D

At the present time, aptitude is the recommended tool for interaction with the APT suite.
--- End quote ---

(source)

I don't think so. The manual was built for people who have reached a certain level of knowledge.-jgpaiva (July 19, 2012, 04:14 AM)
--- End quote ---
Not if they start with chapter 1 which usually teaches the basics.

Also, the manual does not answer questions like "how can I install new software"-jgpaiva (July 19, 2012, 04:14 AM)
--- End quote ---
It does. Search for "install software".  :P

40hz:
I have to disagree with the statement that was a direct reply to mine above.

apt-get is officially deprecated, usage of aptitude is encouraged. Also you don't have to know exact package names, modern package managers are able to suggest the right package when you type the binary name.

--- End quote ---

How can you disagree with someone personally preferring something for their own use?  :P ;D

There's a difference between talking about something and advocating for something. :)

jgpaiva:
Hahaha, Ubuntu. Being different is their only purpose.
-Tuxman (July 19, 2012, 05:06 AM)
--- End quote ---
Ubuntu are that kind of annoying. I'd like to know the reasons behind that decision (but I'm too lazy to search :P ). The only plausible justification for me is to avoid invalidating the hundreds of tutorials out there that use apt-get. However, even that sounds like a non-problem, it'd be a matter of warning the user that they should use aptitude instead, when she tries to use apt-get. (or just tell them to RTFM and lose more users to mac?)

Not if they start with chapter 1 which usually teaches the basics.-Tuxman (July 19, 2012, 05:06 AM)
--- End quote ---
To be honest, I'm a CS phd student, I've used linux for 5 years and I have no idea what you're talking about :) Is that "man man"? Are the users supposed to figure that out when someone replies "RTFM"? Also, typing "man" in the console gets the very useful message "What manual page do you want?", and "man 1" (for page 1? ;) ) gets "No manual entry for 1 (Alternatively, what manual page do you want from section 1?)" and "man 1 1" (for section 1, page 1? ;) ) gets "No manual entry for 1 in section 1".

Also, the manual does not answer questions like "how can I install new software"-jgpaiva (July 19, 2012, 04:14 AM)
--- End quote ---
It does. Search for "install software".  :P
-Tuxman (July 19, 2012, 05:06 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, I really like its awesome question-answering algorithms to figure out answers to newbie questions. I'm sure newbies love it too.

Maybe I'm biased, but there's no way you're ever going to convince me that RTFM is a helpful reply to someone who has never used linux or a console at all, so maybe it's best that we do not pursue this issue anymore.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version