ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is Linux just a hobby?

<< < (21/36) > >>

sword:
@ superboyac Re: Reply #94:
"being able to install third party software on any (or most) distros without much noodling or programmer-skills necessary."

Linux Mint v12 new application install example:
Click 1) Applications, 2) Other, 3) Software manager (36,235 packages available in 12 categories). 4) Graphics (Category 614 packages in list and 6 subcategories), 5) Inkscape (description, score, reviews, homepage URL, version, size, Install/Remove), 6) Install.

Wait for install. Close Software Manager. Open Applications. Click icon/name to run.

Tuxman:
Click 1) Applications, 2) Other, 3) Software manager (36,235 packages available in 12 categories). 4) Graphics (Category 614 packages in list and 6 subcategories), 5) Inkscape (description, score, reviews, homepage URL, version, size, Install/Remove), 6) Install.

Wait for install. Close Software Manager. Open Applications. Click icon/name to run.
-sword (July 18, 2012, 04:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
aptitude install inkscape.

Newbie.

40hz:

-sword (July 18, 2012, 04:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
aptitude install inkscape.

Newbie.
-Tuxman (July 18, 2012, 05:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hey! Be nice to the newcomers.  :eusa_naughty:

Only problem is you need to know the exact name in the repository to do it via the CL.

BTW: I'd prefer sudo apt-get update followed by sudo apt-get install inkscape  ;D

jgpaiva:

Only problem is you need to know the exact name in the repository to do it via the CL.

BTW: I'd prefer sudo apt-get update followed by sudo apt-get install inkscape  ;D
-40hz (July 18, 2012, 06:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
Also, anything that involves opening a console would probably qualify as "programmer-skills".
But I do disagree with superboyac: installing stuff in linux is 100 times easier than in windows.
Actually, now that I think about it, windows is the worst OS from this point of view: installing in Mac is even easier than linux: since the introduction of the app store, the app's site can have a link that opens the app's page in the app store where it's one click away from download and install.

wraith808:
-40hz (July 18, 2012, 06:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Truthfully, this is the primary reason that my Linux exploration ended so early when I did it.  Whenever I tried to go beyond the obvious, if I ran into problems, it was hard to get help.  People would say how great Linux is and recommend that you try it, but when you do and ask a question, you would get derided for your lack of knowledge or ignored.  I know that all Linux users aren't like that... but I ran into enough of them during that time that I just shrugged and reformatted the partition as I didn't see that big of an advantage from the depth I was able to get into it unaided.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version