ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is Linux just a hobby?

<< < (19/36) > >>

Edvard:
Jumped the Ubuntu ship before the Unity.  Never looked back. I was using Xubuntu anyways, so I don't know if I would have noticed a difference.
I hear Unity works good in a pad computer environment, much like how Windows 8 was obviously designed for pad devices as well.

40hz:
Went over to Mint and Crashbang a while back since I didn't like the noises Canonical was making about Unity even before they went all in on it.

I still prefer Xfce over any other desktop for day to day Linux use.

dantheman:
Edvard,

I'm back! But times are busy (can't say they never were!).
You've given so much food for thought, i don't know where to begin!
Will have to come over and re-read alot of things here.

My previous comment was short on one final "hic" that's been lingering on...
What happens if Linux gets some major virus?
A friend of mine said that it's probably going to happen one day.
Will Linux crew have the resources to fight it off?
Aren't we going to end up in dog chase tail scenario like Windows (and now Mac)?

Before we go any further, can i ask who that Joyce is or was?  :huh:

40hz:

My previous comment was short on one final "hic" that's been lingering on...
What happens if Linux gets some major virus?
A friend of mine said that it's probably going to happen one day.
Will Linux crew have the resources to fight it off?
Aren't we going to end up in dog chase tail scenario like Windows (and now Mac)?

Before we go any further, can i ask who that Joyce is or was?  :huh:
-dantheman (July 16, 2012, 04:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

The Linux/BSD/Gnu crowd is more than up for whatever gets thrown at them. If malware becomes an issue, it will be speedily dealt with - as the Morris Internet worm shutdown so neatly demonstrated.  And that response was initiated and accomplished with virtually zero input or assistance from the government.

Many in the F/OSS camp are also considered top talent in the IT world. This isn't amateur hour or a social club. This is a serious crowd doing serious systems programming. If viruses become an issue, they'll be dealt with. And in a completely open manner.

Try getting that anyplace else.  :)

superboyac:
For me, mainstream Linux use hinges on one factor:
being able to install third party software on any (or most) distros without much noodling or programmer-skills necessary.  like Windows or something as easy.

Most people will argue, however, that that is fundamentally opposed to the Linux way of life.  i don't agree.  I think if people really wanted to, it can be done.  But I get the sense that the Linux crowd intentionally prefers things to be more complicated, even if it doesn't have to be.  This will all happen naturally when the time comes, most likely.  PC users will never become apple users, except for the most light-users.  So the only alternative to hardcore windows users is Linux.  And if Windows continues to piss people off, they'll see more converts to linux.  And as the linux community grows, then this whole fragmentation issue will start getting resolved.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version