ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is Linux just a hobby?

<< < (15/36) > >>

40hz:
@dantheman - you should be ok with 1GB. I'm running Mint on an old 2Ghz Core2-Duo laptop with 1 GB of RAM and 1 GB swap space and everything works just fine.  :)

dantheman:
So much for my experiment with Zorin!

For some reason, (just like Ubuntu too!)  :P , my monitor dims (during more intensive work like installing updates) and comes back.

So, LMDE is back on and doing just fine.
No fading in and out monitors here (did it on laptop and desktop).

It's funny that LinuxMint is promoting Yahoo (their supporter) search via their pre-installed version of Firefox but they still have Google on their startpage.

40hz:
For some reason, (just like Ubuntu too!)  :P , my monitor dims (during more intensive work like installing updates) and comes back.

-dantheman (July 11, 2012, 07:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Check your power management settings and see if the "Dim when idle" monitor option is selected. If it is, turn it off. I never use it because it's flaky with some graphic adapters and the power savings it provides are minuscule for most people. I just set my screensaver to black out the monitor after 15 minutes and call it a day.
 8)

dantheman:
I've got LMDE on for now but will double check it 40hz!
Don't think it's the issue for it only happens on Ubuntu and it dims for a moment and comes back in a moment by itself (without doing anything on my part).

One issue with LMDE; i couldn't install Opera stable via Software Manager.
Got it from their site though.

Otherwise, LMDE is pretty quick (spiffy i would say!)  :Thmbsup:

For a non-geek like myself, it was a challenge to install it though (partitions etc.)

Edvard:
* Edvard ropes the wayward calf and attempts to bring it back to topic...
Glad to see you're doing what Linux users the world over are discovering every day... Using what works for you.
But back to the question: in all that, did you feel like you were tinkering with an amusing hobby?  Or were you performing vital troubleshooting procedures in order to produce a usable workstation which would serve your computing needs for the foreseeable future?

That, I think is one of the dividing lines that must be crossed in order to differentiate between one or the other.  Seems so logical to say that Windows or Mac isn't a hobby, because they are production-ready systems that so many people actually do work on, for, and with.  Linux has classically been the domain of the tinkerer, power user, or the merely intellectually curious; yet, it has stood the test of production systems for years now.  Even now, a sizable chunk of the internet is powered by Linux or BSD (the "other" hobby OS),  and I am constantly absolutely boggled by the fact that people have absolutely no clue that their most trusted communication link (cell phone) could possibly be running on a hobby OS (android).

Like I said in my first response, it is what you make it.
I've used Linux in some incarnation for ~10 years now as my main, and now only OS, and it's as vital to me as any Windows or Mac would be to anyone else.  Granted, when my Linux breaks and I can't fix it, I go to the "community" instead of to the "experts", but really that's the biggest difference anymore.

8 more cents, and you'd have a dollar...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version