ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is Linux just a hobby?

<< < (10/36) > >>

Paul Keith:
MATE is not a WM or DE though. That's what most techies may underrate.

It's a reactive WM or DE. Techies being more knowledgeable and full of hacking culture tend to overlook that so it gets understated. MATE, unlike other WM/DEs, does not aim to innovate, add superior features, add exclusive features but instead aims to save. By saving people from Gnome3, even if it's a selfish type of saving (a hotfix), it became more notable than the other obscure WMs/DEs when it was first released to people who hated Gnome3.

I'm not saying it did it to so great an effect that everyone knew about it but it approached the issue with enough of an urgency that people don't psychologically approach MATE as WM or DE. They approach it like a cool app feature which is what makes the effort stand apart from many other OS features.

As far as the icons, that's because of hindsight.

One of the main criticisms for the pre-colored icon era Mint was that it wasn't ready for newbie PC user because updating would break something. Of course this was one of those "extreme nitpicky" situations where advanced users pretend to see through the casual users' plight without realizing that this was less of an update problem and more of a general stability problem.

True to Clem's unique approach to elegance though, Mint did not just stop and wait. They actually went ahead and did it and over time it became less of a safety net and more of a "convenience factor".

Still to quote Futurama: “When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.” ...but it is still a unique social approach on improving an OS that many OS lacks especially from the open source side. Even browsers like Firefox and Chrome tend to be "show up" and then rely on add-ons and mini-updates and only Opera has really had a browser ui reincarnation although it's often on the regressive side (hiding features rather than making cool features easier to find). Mint on the other hand actually addressed people's problems and brought those new MintApps to the forefront basic or simple tweaks as they may be to the hacking culture of OSS. Sure many of the improvements has gone by the wayside but it's still one of the few OS's that upgrades itself like a MMORPG/regularly updated game/regularly updated web service than an operating system. The tech inferiority/superiority itself is irrelevant.

Bad low spec games could become one of the best games if it gets regularly updated to the point of constantly adding new content that you're excited to keep up on news about it. Especially for free, that's how you create currency by using free "new" features as a manner of building up supply and demand or more aptly anticipate and upgrade. Without that value, many people might not even find a reason to keep up to date with a product's changelog.

dantheman:
Just stumbled on this site that offers computers with a few different Linux makes installed:
http://zareason.com/shop/home.php

(Wonder how much attention the new Windows8 Preview will be getting?).

Dabbing with WUBI (trying to get LM 13 to work on .32bit) made it unstable (so i uninstalled).

Have to admit it, Windows 7 is the most solid OS i've seen yet.

Paul Keith:
We like Windows 7: it's faster than Vista, makes better use of your system resources, is packed with interesting features, and looks great, too.

But that doesn't mean it's perfect, of course. If you've moved to Windows 7 recently then you might have noticed various upgrade problems, interface issues and features that seem to have disappeared entirely, among many other complications with the new system.

Don't despair, though - while these problems can be really frustrating, answers are beginning to appear. We've uncovered some of the best and most effective solutions around, so follow our guide and your Windows 7 installation will soon be back on track.
--- End quote ---

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/22-common-windows-7-problems-solved-655655

...and I don't even have W7 and last time I tried one, it was so sluggish albeit the hardware was old.

It's also worth noting that the older versions of LM are known for being more installation-robust but of course the problem arises from hardware compatibility.

It could be my own bias for having LM10 but I've blog comments about LM11, LM12 and LM 13 that made me hesitate in trying them out. Of course these same complaints existed before and were often vague plus the changes in mint4win are easy to spot in the LM forums:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=159&t=103360

Tuxman:
We like Windows 7: it's faster than Vista
--- End quote ---
It only has different default settings which is not OS-related.

makes better use of your system resources
--- End quote ---
Same.

is packed with interesting features, and looks great, too.
--- End quote ---
No.

Josh:
We like Windows 7: it's faster than Vista
--- End quote ---
It only has different default settings which is not OS-related.
-Tuxman (June 02, 2012, 09:44 AM)
--- End quote ---
Source?
makes better use of your system resources
--- End quote ---
Same.

--- End quote ---
Source?
is packed with interesting features, and looks great, too.
--- End quote ---
No.

--- End quote ---
Source?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version