ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is Linux just a hobby?

<< < (9/36) > >>

dantheman:
BTW sword, finally decided to take LXDE for a spin and you were 100% right!
Thanks a bunch!  :Thmbsup:

sword:
I don't know how *Linux* uses the term, "supported till a certain date" since I'm using 'Live' CDs. I do have some experience using old, sometimes very old,  CDs of Linux iso images. If the CD works 'Live' on your hardware, it will keep on working and the worst you get is, for example, in a Puppy log-in where the default browser is an old version of 'IceWeasel', is a screen with, "Oops, URL not found", which you can just ignore.

Upgrading within a version in Mint could not be easier.  At the top bar there is a 'shield' shaped icon with, "i" in it. Mine currently shows, "9 recommended updates available (39MB)". If you open this your system will be checked and the updates will be listed with check boxes and 'rating' numbers ( 1 - 5 ) beside items. "1" is highly recommended and *very* safe. I chose not to upgrade Firefox from v11 to v12 by unchecking the checkbox. You can do the same for upgrades numbered 4 or 5 if they are not important to you since there is a small chance, according to what I read, they might interfere with some other files. In Mint 'Applications> Other> Upgrade to DVD edition' you are given the opportunity to upgrade and I think you have choices. There is 'Applications> Other> Update Manager' that I've not explored, along with Synaptic Package Manager and GDebi Package Installer. I believe the same process works on an install to CD-RW (probably not big enough), DVD-RW or USB flash drive.
I've read about version upgrades and will review my notes and let you know.
@dantheman Re. today at 01:26:32 "...LXDE for a spin..."
Great. You are welcome.

Tuxman:
Heck, my friend has Firefox running on an old XP and it performs twice as fast as on my system!  :-[-dantheman (May 21, 2012, 08:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
Another proof that Linux is overrated.
Linux might be the currently preferred "wannabe geek system". So what? Technically, it is average at best.

Paul Keith:
Yes, Linux can be a hobby but Linux can never ever ever be overrated because no one ever fully rates it correctly.  :P

Over the years though, and speaking from a guy who still can't get the time to learn Linux, it's more like a vacation.

Anytime I have to switch a Windows that has gone bonkers, I find I take a brief vacation and install Linux and then reread some obscure info and then Linux becomes my default OS until something breaks or I want to play a Windows specific game. It keeps me from learning Linux ever but it fixed my Linux headaches. Instead of troubleshooting, I just go back to Windows and vice versa.

Over the years though, expiration date for support has become a feature. If your distro is no longer supported, then chances are you save yourselves from the headache of having to "un-set" some hog like Compiz or deal with the Gnome3 issue or worry about why something causes this particular install to not work.

It's where Mint is the future IMO. Gnome bothering you? Hello MATE.  Constantly breaking something? Hello update manager with colored icons. It's the only OS I know that seems to still be updating itself for non-techies. It's one weakness is that it's still an OS so additions on the scale of new features you normally expect from regular software still crawls to a snail and you get mostly backend, Ubuntu upstream or aesthetic changes. Software are also never adopted. There's no Mint LibreOffice with exclusive Mint features for additional usability but Mint is the only one where fellow users used to ask how to adopt an "everybody could get why you want this on your OS feature" in MintMenu to their Ubuntu/other distro.

Tuxman:
It's where Mint is the future IMO. Gnome bothering you? Hello MATE. -Paul Keith (May 28, 2012, 01:34 AM)
--- End quote ---
Different window managers and desktop environments are available on many platforms, even Windows.  :P

Constantly breaking something? Hello update manager with colored icons.-Paul Keith (May 28, 2012, 01:34 AM)
--- End quote ---
I doubt the icons will stop the breaking.

After all, Mint is built very well and looks reasonable, however it is based on Ubuntu which is known to break a lot, so I never gave it a run. I used the Debian Edition on some machines until quite recently when the last LMDE machine died. Last night I updated my dual-boot Fedora to Fedora 17...

Still, FreeBSD is the superior system.  :D (Could not resist.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version