ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is Linux just a hobby?

<< < (8/36) > >>

mahesh2k:
^ Above that was said to be theft (and never answered), and then you dovetailed on the conversation with your comments, which was the reason for the question.
--- End quote ---
What type of answer you're expecting from me or zaine? Are you going to get into argument just because zaine's wrong choice of word "theft". Or you just want to disagree because I agree with zaine's view despite his wrong choice of word "theft"? You know very well that was wrong choice of word for explaining unfair practice of the hardware vendors. Are we doing some orthography bickering here? I mean your sarcastic reply was uncalled for especially when you know that more than 99% of the laptop manufacturers install windows by default and don't give options for linux or freedos for which your sarcastic reply was -"you don't like it, don't buy it". So basically your argument was for the sake of it. You are expecting that people should not even express their views towards such vendors policies and just don't buy the computer at all if they don't like vendor policies(which makes 99% of the computer vendors). I must say that reply was in more of rude taste. Whatever...

Did try to install LM Maya with .iso on DVD/RW. It runs but won't install. Apparently it might be because i have to burn it to a DVD/R only. Whatever!
--- End quote ---
dantheman, How about making ext3 or ext4 partition with Linux Mint installer and then installing in it?

wraith808:
^ Sorry... I wasn't trying to be argumentative- trying to discuss on a discussion forum.  Some people do believe that 'theft' is the right word, and I wanted to have a conversation.  Then the response.  Pah... close to giving up on discussing anything.

dantheman:
Don't give up wraith808!  8)
I can't count the times my choice of words was poor or totally inappropriate (for which i'm sorry).
Do tend to let my temper go too easily at times and we forget that we deal with real human beings when we post things.

With regards to LinuxMint13, well, i'm perhaps too quick on the gun. I don't know.

Here's what i get when trying to install with .iso burned to DVD/R
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b9by9b5f8w272wh/2012-05-26%2008.47.02.jpg

That's why, if i can install it via WUBI it might give me a way to get it in.
But, apparently you can't install and get a .32bit LinuxMint .iso to work in WUBI.
So, i'm back to square one.

I like WUBI style 'cause i can remove it without a problem (grub etc.)

sword:
Linux Mint 12 (Lisa) LXDE (32 bit), (657 MB .iso), Live CD or install. For speed, stability, ease of use and installation. The web-based package installation interface with Software Manager has 36,000+ applications available with one click. Look at DistroWatch 2012-03-09 Mint. Min. Spec.: x86, 256 MB RAM, 3 GB hard disk space if installed, 800x600 resolution, CD or DVD drive or USB port. The DVD versions reportedly have a lot on them.

It worked perfectly as a Live CD. The speed, stability and ease of use claims are true. I installed it to my hard drive, upgraded to Firefox 11 with some add-ons and added apps.

I use a custom/remastered Puppy version Live CD for email and I use a Live CD version of Knoppix for general Internet surfing. Both work well and should be fairly safe since they are read-only CDs that load entirely to RAM. I think the Linux Mint hard drive install is quite safe but the box it is on has no user data and reinstalling Mint would be fast and easy.

dantheman:
LXDE seems to be the solid option, thank you sword.

This is a basic non-geek question, but i just have to ask it.
What does it mean when it is supported until a specific date?

Can we upgrade the OS or does it have to be un-installed/re-installed?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version