ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is Linux just a hobby?

<< < (7/36) > >>

mahesh2k:
I do have N serier, Dell Vostro 1550 machine and it works fine. It has ubuntu 11.04 in it which got replaced with 12.04 last month. I hate dell's forced windows license purchase. Sometimes they force the license purchase on us by showing no option of operating system other than windows. I feel that is wrong. I don't want to waste my money on windows license.

wraith808:
That's a problem with Dell, isn't it?  And how is that theft?  If you don't like their licensing then don't buy, right?

mahesh2k:
I never said that was theft. That was more like forced licensing to make money. As for buying, their other components works way better than HP or ACER. So "you don't like it, then don't buy it"- just don't work for me. So as a customer I am demanding that from them which is again fair, and to some extent it works because they do release one model out of 10 for linux or freeDOS.

wraith808:
^ Above that was said to be theft (and never answered), and then you dovetailed on the conversation with your comments, which was the reason for the question.

dantheman:
Speaking of hobby...!  :D

I've been reading here and there that it is possible to install LinuxMint's latest Maya Cinnamon within Ubuntu 12.04. Have tried a few of the suggestions but not getting it to work.

Did try to install LM Maya with .iso on DVD/RW. It runs but won't install. Apparently it might be because i have to burn it to a DVD/R only. Whatever!

Did also try uNetbootin.
It told me to format to fat32 so i did but it kept telling me to format it to fat32.
Using a WD 150G usb storage device that i wiped i formatted to fat32 but i guess that it isn't good enough.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version