topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Is Linux just a hobby?  (Read 98926 times)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Is Linux just a hobby?
« Reply #175 on: July 30, 2012, 01:26 AM »
I mentioned the RTFMs earlier that I got in the forae.  There's a little more to that than just the statement.  Almost every time someone makes that recommendation, they are making a number of assumptions.  First, they assume that you have not read the manual - or man pages.  Second, they assume that if you do read that documentation, you will come away with the same understanding they have.  And, to a lesser extent, they are irritated that your questions intrude on reading the really important stuff in that particular forum.

Spot.
Fecking.
On.

As dedicated a Linux fan as I am, I will never hesitate to give an answer to a question honestly asked, and for those very reasons.  I DID RTFM, I DID STFW, and I STILL had to ask stupid questions, (as in, it was stupid I had to ask because the documentation was so spotty), so I know what an uphill battle it can be, even when it really isn't, or doesn't have to be.  
Even though I agree with most of 'How to ask questions the smart way', it pains me that so much gets made of it, while 'How to answer questions the helpful way' gets short shrift in general practice.
IMHO, that section could use a little expansion.

-> $0.02

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #176 on: July 30, 2012, 01:43 AM »
Spot.
Fecking.
On.

As dedicated a Linux fan as I am, I will never hesitate to give an answer to a question honestly asked, and for those very reasons.  I DID RTFM, I DID STFW, and I STILL had to ask stupid questions, (as in, it was stupid I had to ask because the documentation was so spotty), so I know what an uphill battle it can be, even when it really isn't, or doesn't have to be. 
Even though I agree with most of 'How to ask questions the smart way', it pains me that so much gets made of it, while 'How to answer questions the helpful way' gets short shrift in general practice, and that section could use a little expansion besides.

-> $0.02

When I was active on Tek-Tips a decade or so ago - it was just getting started - I had one (1) overriding rule:  answer the question that was asked, if at all possible, then suggest alternatives if the question seemed to be a bit askew.  Got chastised for it, from a few other answerers, but mostly accolades from the folk who'd asked the question.

The chastisement is all too common in most forae  :(, and the accolades, should they happen, don't always make up for that.
(One (1) of the reasons I stay on DC ... the question asked usually gets an answer, or at least a resource ... and let us not forget the [frequent] times that the answer gets created on the spot  :-*  :Thmbsup:)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #177 on: July 30, 2012, 08:08 AM »
Even though I agree with most of 'How to ask questions the smart way', it pains me that so much gets made of it, while 'How to answer questions the helpful way' gets short shrift in general practice.

Good links!  Thanks for the info!  I do love the second point- and it's one of the reasons I come to DC with questions (and answers when I can)- Choose your forum carefully ;)