topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:01 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: First use of the day-long pause  (Read 4266 times)

RoseW

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
First use of the day-long pause
« on: May 20, 2012, 08:21 PM »
I wondered if LaunchBar Commander is connected to the Windows icon database.  At one point I found via an online article, the registry key that is supposed to have a number that is connected to the icon or thumbnail datatbase and in my Windows 7 there wasn't that registry entry that was described in the article I had found.
At any rate, the first use of the day for the sidebar Launchbar there is a 'wait time' for a folder to display. This is a folder holding shortcut icons.  When it has been opened once then it is actually available even by hovering for the rest of the morning. If the Launchbar is not used for a long time later in the day the same routine will repeat. Of course, this is the'go to' listing in the launchbar so that wait period can get a little aggrevating <grin>
I wondered if the icons had to be retrieved or whatever Windows does with icons.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: First use of the day-long pause
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 10:14 PM »
It's not icons, it's that it's waiting for windows hard drive to spin up and retrieve the folder contents; after that they are in the disk or OS cache and so are quick.  There is no easy solution other than to have LBC cache the directory contents explicitly, or have LBC poll the directory to keep them in OS cache.  Neither of which seem worth the effort.

RoseW

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: First use of the day-long pause
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 09:03 AM »
Thanks for the immediate explanation. I had considered that I had configured a link in a  folder that wasn't being found or that I had too much in the bar then the icon concept came into my mind <LOL!> As simple as the drive spinning up....well, its not me then!
Now I know I don't have to do any further musings<GRIN> Once the desktop etc is on the screen I just go to the LB and get it going then its ready when I need it.

Rose