topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: MoveIt 1.5.1.0  (Read 64695 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Shape Shift 1.0.9.0 and MoveIt 1.0.2.0
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2012, 12:21 AM »
MoveIt 1.0.2.0 I made a few small updates to MoveIt and put it on my hotkey page. Same link as first post.

I changed the 't' and 'b' to use 25% of work area height for Top and 75% work area height for Bottom. Both use about 95% of work area width.  I added a tray menu option "Special" that also leaves a 5% gap at the bottom.. just for 't' and 'b'. It leaves about a 5% gap on the left so if you do have a few desktop icons you can still click them.

I made 'c' Center larger and centered it more accurately.
This app is simple but there's much less to go wrong. :)

The zip on the site includes custom icon and ahk_L source code.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2012, 05:13 AM »

MoveIt 1.0.2.0 I made a few small updates to MoveIt and put it on my hotkey page. Same link as first post.

I changed the 't' and 'b' to use 25% of work area height for Top and 75% work area height for Bottom. Both use about 95% of work area width.  I added a tray menu option "Special" that also leaves a 5% gap at the bottom.. just for 't' and 'b'. It leaves about a 5% gap on the left so if you do have a few desktop icons you can still click them.

I made 'c' Center larger and centered it more accurately.
This app is simple but there's much less to go wrong. :)

The zip on the site includes custom icon and ahk_L source code.

I've discovered a clash with another app (Directory Opus) for the Alt+Arrow keys.
I see it in the AHK file (starting line #198)

Code: Autohotkey [Select]
  1. !Left::
  2.   AWindow := WinExist("A")

I changed the four instances of "!" to "<^>!" (= "Alt Gr" right alt key - on my keyboard at any rate). Source was
http://www.autohotke...com/docs/Hotkeys.htm

Behaviour is very weird - RightAlt+RightArrow, or UpArrow, now just make the window disappear - it shows in the taskbar but not on screen.
If you can see what I'm doing wrong, please let me know!
thanks.
Tom

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2012, 02:23 PM »
I don't have directory opus. I have no idea what it's hotkeys do. But just because you use a right or left Alt I don't see how it eliminates the conflict with Alt Arrow. DO is still going to do something when you hit Alt Arrow.

Try setting a completely different modifier key or combination.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2012, 02:36 PM »
I don't have directory opus. I have no idea what it's hotkeys do. But just because you use a right or left Alt I don't see how it eliminates the conflict with Alt Arrow. DO is still going to do something when you hit Alt Arrow.

Try setting a completely different modifier key or combination.

I'm making a fool of myself (and it wont be the first time :-)
The hotkey for cycling through the tabs in Dopus is Ctrl+Arrow. (That was why Alt+Arrow didnt work for me "any more".)
So I didnt have to change anything :-[ 
sorry bout that :)
Tom

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2012, 03:50 PM »
Not at all. You should have seen my ripping my hair out doing those "rotating grid" calculations!! :)

Now that I know how to check for resizeable window attribute I'm thinking of adding a shift key option to TicClick to have it resize as well as move, if the border allows it.  There's so many ways of doing this stuff. Wish I had a more modern multi-monitor setup so I could work that angle.  But I'm sure the majority still have a single monitor(although it's probably not a CRT like mine anymore.) :)

edit: Hmm, I find with MoveIt I don't really feel the need for TicClick. It's more flexible just to drag the window near where I want it, then use the Alt Arrow keys to snug it to an edge. It doesn't have to be in the middle or in a corner.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 08:20 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Shape Shift 1.0.9.0 and MoveIt 1.0.3.0
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2012, 02:11 AM »
MoveIt 1.0.3.0 Added 'z' Custom Save feature.  Size and position a window, then hit hotkey 'z' to get an InputBox.  There you may enter one of the t b l r c s   letters to save it for that section. It simply writes and reads a string of the raw numbers. But it should work well enough if you always use the same screen res and work area as I do.  To restore the built in default for any letter, edit the ini file.  The keys have the format Custom_n where n is the letter of the section.  Just rub out the string after the "=" or delete the line entirely.  Run MoveIt to load the new settings. If it's already running in the tray it will be replaced with a new instance.

Just got this going tonight so there may be a few quirks.

I got rid of the "Special" option as this is much better. Lets you size each area however you wish.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Shape Shift 1.0.9.0 and MoveIt 1.0.4.0
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2012, 01:58 PM »
MoveIt 1.0.4.0 Added Open Home Folder command to Tray Menu. It simply opens the folder that contains the running MoveIt.exe. Makes it easier to edit the .ini file.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2012, 05:54 PM »
MoveIt 1.0.3.0 Added 'z' Custom Save feature.  Size and position a window, then hit hotkey 'z' to get an InputBox.  There you may enter one of the t b l r c s   letters to save it for that section. It simply writes and reads a string of the raw numbers. But it should work well enough if you always use the same screen res and work area as I do.

This is absolutely super - this makes this app :-*

(I mean, if I can use this, anyone can: I usually avoid editing ini files etc like the plague - I still willl in fact ;) )
Tom

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2012, 06:30 PM »
Glad you like it. As I was messing around with several ideas I though why not just let people put the stuff where they want in the simplest way?

Me, I leave my screen res at 1280 x 1024 and I use the same work area. I don't use any apps that need to change the screen res. Just saving and loading the raw numbers is enough for my use. The fewer calculations the better.  Less likely to break. :)

If you change the size of a window ruining the centering just use TicClick to zap it to a centered position. Then you can use the Alt Arrow keys to move it a bit. I find I like a large centered rectangle for text editors, but I like the bottom to be closer to the taskbar.  Alt Down Arrow a couple of times and I'm lined up.  Then I just hotkey-z-ed it.  Now I can snap any editor from a tiny frame to this dominant position.  Nice. :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Shape Shift 1.0.9.0 and MoveIt 1.0.5.0
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2012, 07:07 PM »
MoveIt 1.0.5.0 Added h and v keys to center active window horizontally or vertically.  Hooked up 'z' with Middle Mouse Button hold.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Shape Shift 1.0.9.0 and MoveIt 1.0.6.0
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2012, 04:20 PM »
MoveIt 1.0.6.0 Now Custom Save info is written to .ini file using floats as a percentage of the work area dimension.  When reading the Custom values from the .ini file, if the numbers are not floating point, they are handled the old way(the same as v. 1.0.5.0.)

If you wish to adjust your custom saves to accommodate more than one screen res. just save using 'z' key. If you use a custom work area setting please remember to use a work area appropriate for the new screen res so that calculations will work. If you use AutoHide Taskbar or always let the system set the work area then you don't need to do anything special.

I usually run at 1280 x 1024 with the 1024 cut down to 908 via work area adjustment. As test I saved a couple of sections with the new version using 'z' then changed the screen res to 1600 x 1200 and set the 1200 down to 1020 work area.  Then I keyed a couple of windows into position.  I must say it worked pretty well. Should be especially handy if you have to use a smaller screen res. It should proportionately size down so that the windows make sense on the desktop, provided you adjust the work area if needed.

The short of it is, you should not have to do anything for the program to work the same as 1.0.5.0. To transition to percentage custom saves, place your custom windows and re 'z' 'em. It's ok to mix and match. Any Custom setting still using the old format will pass through. Of course it will not be sized proportionately if the screen res and/or work area is different than when saved. But it shouldn't be anything bizarre. :)

Attronarch

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2012, 05:38 AM »
So, if I understand correctly, I should replace SectionAte 1.0.20.0 with ShapeShift + MoveIt?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2012, 09:01 AM »
So, if I understand correctly, I should replace SectionAte 1.0.20.0 with ShapeShift + MoveIt?

MoveIt replaced SectionAte. I believe (but wait see what Miles says) they should *not* be used together as some shortcuts "overlap" and have different effects.

FWIW, MoveIt seems the more interesting app to me. I've used it in combination with jgpaiva's GridMove without any problems-
Tom

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2012, 02:22 PM »

SectionAte was sort of a failed attempt. The successful parts were moved to MoveIt.  ShapeShift and MoveIt should not be run together since Alt Arrow hotkeys are used by both.  Think of ShapeShift as a first attempt. It's more for people who like the security of looking at the Gui to see what section to use.  MoveIt is aimed at power users and has more features. The best being the Custom Save or 'z' key feature.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Shape Shift 1.0.9.0 and MoveIt 1.1.0.0
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2012, 12:07 AM »
MoveIt 1.1.0.0 Bumped up the version to 1.1 due to adding a new feature. You may now drag a window to a screen quadrant, then hold down Alt while releasing the mouse button.  The window will snap to the quadrant that has the origin, or top left corner, of the window.

If the window frame is resizeable it will be sized to fit in the quadrant. Otherwise it will just be placed.
See Readme.txt Revisions section for a few details.

Also updated About Box to list the feature.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Shape Shift 1.0.9.0 and MoveIt 1.1.1.0
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2012, 01:57 AM »
MoveIt 1.1.1.0 Changed the quadrant feature to only work with Explorer windows. Seems to be less conflicts. Also you can hold the Alt key down while dragging an Explorer window. Just more natural. Also Explorer windows are actually useful at 1/4 screen size unlike most app windows.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Shape Shift 1.0.9.0 and MoveIt 1.1.2.0
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2012, 03:25 AM »
MoveIt 1.1.2.0 Explorer window "snap to quadrant" feature may now be enabled/disabled via Tray Menu check mark.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Shape Shift 1.0.9.0 and MoveIt 1.1.3.0
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2012, 06:15 PM »
MoveIt 1.1.3.0 Added Control Shift e hotkey to Stagger open Explorer Windows.  If 10 or fewer Explorer windows are open they will be placed top left corner then staggered down and right.  11 to 20 the stagger will be 2 columns.  If zero or more than 20 Explorer Windows are open you get the little error beep and nothing happens. :)

I'm doing this on Windows Seven 1280 x 1024 resolution with double height Taskbar. I try to space it so that the address bar in the Explorer window can be read.  Seems to do a reasonably good job of it. The built in Windows Tile Vertical and Tile Horizontal are nearly useless for Explorer windows unless you have around 6 windows open.

With Stagger the Explorer window is about 1/2 the work area in each dimension. The ideal usage is 3 to 10 windows. Then they are spaced nicely diagonally.. at least on my CRT.  Flat screen may look a bit different. But I'd be surprised if it wasn't an improvement over the Tile or Cascade built-ins.

With the Stagger function, the fewer Explorer windows that are open, the more they are spaced apart.
It's similar to the function in Quotidian Folders but I modified it a bit to handle more than 10 windows etc..

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Shape Shift 1.0.9.0 and MoveIt 1.1.5.0
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2012, 11:40 PM »
MoveIt 1.1.5.0 Now the Explorer Stagger uses various placements depending on the number of Explorer Windows open when the hotkey is invoked.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Shape Shift 1.0.9.0 and MoveIt 1.1.6.0
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2012, 02:30 PM »
MoveIt 1.1.6.0 Changed Stagger for 3 Explorer Windows. Bottom window is now approx 2/3 work area width and 1/2 work area height, roughly centered horizontally.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Shape Shift 1.0.9.0 and MoveIt 1.1.7.0
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2012, 05:50 PM »
MoveIt 1.1.7.0 Now the Stagger function places Explorer Windows sorted by path/title.
(e.g. "Computer" is after anything beginning with "C:\" and "D:\whatever" is after those)

I think it helps to have some kind of order. Otherwise they are picked up in z-order by the AHK list function. It was whatever was closest to the top.  The same group of folders were being placed in various orders just because one happened to be on top of another in the z-order.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Shape Shift 1.0.9.0 and MoveIt 1.1.8.0
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2012, 03:37 PM »
MoveIt 1.1.8.0 Fixed associative array memory leak in Explorer Stagger routine.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Shape Shift 1.0.9.0 and MoveIt 1.1.8.1
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2012, 05:46 PM »
MoveIt 1.1.8.1 Cleaned up the code that releases the list of Explorer Windows after they are placed. Just minor code changes. They shouldn't even be detectable to the user.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Shape Shift 1.0.9.0 and MoveIt 1.1.8.2
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2012, 11:48 PM »
MoveIt 1.1.8.2 Hopefully Explorer Stagger function now has all memory leaks plugged.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Shape Shift 1.0.9.0 and MoveIt 1.1.8.4
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2012, 04:08 PM »
MoveIt 1.1.8.4 Changed Tray Menu command from Purge Dead Window Info to Reload to Free Memory. Only really useful if you leave your machine running 24/7 with MoveIt running in the tray. It may free up a bit of memory in that case.