topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: MoveIt 1.5.1.0  (Read 64679 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Shape Shift 1.0.9.0 and MoveIt 1.2.5.1
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2012, 02:20 AM »
MoveIt 1.2.5.1 Added a line to About Box.  No biggie. :)

edit: Now user-defined keyboard hotkey is set to none (not set IOW) to avoid conflicts. Use one of the Tray Menu commands if you wish to set the Keyboard hotkey.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 04:18 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Shape Shift 1.0.9.0 and MoveIt 1.2.5.2
« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2012, 04:29 PM »
MoveIt 1.2.5.2 Now user-defined keyboard hotkey is not set to start. Use one of the Tray Menu commands if you wish to assign your own keyboard hotkey. If the user keyboard hotkey assignment fails on program startup, the app resets the value to blank, then quits after writing the .ini file.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Shape Shift 1.0.9.0 and MoveIt 1.2.5.4
« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2012, 05:26 PM »
MoveIt 1.2.5.4 (skipped 1.2.5.3 because I don't feel like compiling yet again just for the number.)  :)

Added a kludge to force the ini file to be ANSI on Wow64 systems.  Otherwise the .ini file could be a BOM and nothing else.  The profile string APIs are weird hold-overs from Win 3.1.  But for tiny apps like these it can be convenient not to mess up the registry just for a couple of settings.

The other choice was recompile the build as ANSI. This seemed the lesser of 2 evils.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #103 on: October 11, 2012, 06:20 PM »
Ridiculously off topic but I get a kick out of your 4 level versioning Miles. Miles Away from Firefox!   :-*

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #104 on: October 11, 2012, 06:23 PM »
Ridiculously off topic but I get a kick out of your 4 level versioning Miles. Miles Away from Firefox!   :-*

Heh heh.  I can't let the major version number exceed 9 or I'd have to rewrite the "check for updates" I use on some of them. It just does a string compare I believe. That keeps me from bumping up the major version every 48 hours. :)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #105 on: October 11, 2012, 06:26 PM »

Heh heh.  I can't let the major version number exceed 9 or I'd have to rewrite the "check for updates" I use on some of them. It just does a string compare I believe. That keeps me from bumping up the major version every 48 hours. :)

Programmer Laziness FTW!!   ;D

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #106 on: October 11, 2012, 08:42 PM »

Heh heh.  I can't let the major version number exceed 9 or I'd have to rewrite the "check for updates" I use on some of them. It just does a string compare I believe. That keeps me from bumping up the major version every 48 hours. :)

Programmer Laziness FTW!!   ;D

I call that "optimization."  When I'm not snorin'

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Shape Shift 1.0.9.0 and MoveIt 1.2.5.5
« Reply #107 on: November 28, 2012, 01:55 PM »
MoveIt 1.2.5.5  Added Control Shift x hotkey to Close all Explorer Windows.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: MoveIt 1.3.0.0
« Reply #108 on: March 22, 2015, 09:10 AM »
MoveIt 1.3.0.0  Fixed Explorer Window Stagger routine to handle duplicate Explorer Windows.  Now if you want 3 or 5 views of the same folder for drag and drop it will handle it irather than moving the first one it finds to the different positions.

See first post for the new download page.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: MoveIt 1.3.1.0
« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2015, 10:30 AM »
MoveIt 1.3.1.0 Fixed Middle Mouse Button hotkey.  Also Quadrant Snap checks size after resizing to prevent the moved/sized window extending past the work area.

I was using HitTest message to make sure the middle mouse button was only being held on the Caption Bar to avoid interfering with scroll drag in some programs such as Firefox.  But it wasn't working on W8.0.  But if you are scroll dragging it is unlikely you would be hitting other keys at the same time.

Eliminating the Hittest also improved the Quadrant snap response.  Since this seems to be usable now I added checking for programs that have minimum dimensions when resized.  I get the size after the resize operation and use that when checking the window fits on screen.

Download link is in first post.

I also added the option to my page to show a version number rather than the size of the download.  As I update programs I'll post the v.x.x.x.x number from now on.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #110 on: March 22, 2015, 12:06 PM »
Great to see this being updated Miles :up:
I still using an older version on my win 7 desktop - and am just after adding it to my Win 8.1 laptop.

Also just updated the mini-review I had written (a couple of years ago now!).
  • I still have to add the hotkey to close all Explorer windows (havent used it yet)
  • also seem to have missed out on whatever the middle-mouse button does [edit] I see info about it in the about box [/edit]
  • [edit] I see I also missed out on other stuff from the about box - will add [/edit]
Was wondering if you could skim though the review and tell me if I missed out on any of the features, or if anything else needs to be updated?
Tom
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 12:16 PM by tomos »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #111 on: March 22, 2015, 02:15 PM »
Great to see this being updated Miles :up:
I still using an older version on my win 7 desktop - and am just after adding it to my Win 8.1 laptop.

Also just updated the mini-review I had written (a couple of years ago now!).
  • I still have to add the hotkey to close all Explorer windows (havent used it yet)
  • also seem to have missed out on whatever the middle-mouse button does [edit] I see info about it in the about box [/edit]
  • [edit] I see I also missed out on other stuff from the about box - will add [/edit]
Was wondering if you could skim though the review and tell me if I missed out on any of the features, or if anything else needs to be updated?

Hi.  I will be happy to look through your review.  Please download the latest version 1.3.2.0 as I found a bunch of bad code in the windows movement calls.  It does run smoother now.  But I am sad to say it still seems to need Run As Administrator to use the middle mouse button as hotkey.  Now that I see some of the WinMove calss I'm surprised they worked at all.  :)

It should also work better moving non resizable windows to the corners(snap) .. at least I hope so.

Edit:  I read the review.  One minor typo in the version number you have 1.2.3.0 instead of 1.3.2.0.

I think you covered the utility's functionality nicely.  I am very glad you enjoy using it.  Thank you for investing the time to review it on the forum.  :)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 07:09 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: MoveIt 1.3.2.0
« Reply #112 on: March 22, 2015, 02:17 PM »
MoveIt 1.3.2.0  Fix errors in Window Movement routines.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: MoveIt 1.3.3.0
« Reply #113 on: March 24, 2015, 08:31 AM »
MoveIt 1.3.3.0  Added Stagger pattern for 6 Explorer Windows.  Two rows of three.  :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #114 on: March 24, 2015, 09:45 AM »
Edit:  I read the review.  One minor typo in the version number you have 1.2.3.0 instead of 1.3.2.0.

I think you covered the utility's functionality nicely.  I am very glad you enjoy using it

Thanks! Review updated for 1.3.3.0 and reworked a bit to be more comprehensive -
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=31763.0
Tom

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #115 on: March 24, 2015, 01:21 PM »

I think you covered the utility's functionality nicely.  I am very glad you enjoy using it

Thanks! Review updated for 1.3.3.0 and reworked a bit to be more comprehensive -
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=31763.0

:Thmbsup:  I really appreciate the succinct presentation.  Reading it myself I found out some of the hotkey functions I forgot.  :)

Thank you.  :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #116 on: May 03, 2015, 10:50 AM »
Miles,
I'm having a bit of trouble with the Alt key in a couple of different scenarios:

1) Alt drag a file to create a shortcut causes the window to snap to quadrant.

2) I often use Alt+Tab in combination with the mouse:
Keeping Alt pressed, press Tab briefly - then I click on the window I want.
It mostly works okay, but sometimes causes the window to 'quarter' - I'm not sure why - I do this so automatically I'm not very aware of what exactly I'm doing 'wrong'

Would it be possible to make the Alt+click an option?
Or make the key modifyable?
Tom

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #117 on: May 03, 2015, 11:07 AM »

In the Tray Menu uncheck Snap Window to Quadrant.  With the "tic tac toe" move there's no real need for snap to quadrant.  If you want to make a 1/4 screen size window you can always use one of the customized sizes with hotkey-z.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #118 on: May 03, 2015, 11:14 AM »

In the Tray Menu uncheck Snap Window to Quadrant.  With the "tic tac toe" move there's no real need for snap to quadrant.  If you want to make a 1/4 screen size window you can always use one of the customized sizes with hotkey-z.

I actually looked at the tray menu and managed to miss that [:we need a looking up to heaven smilie:]

:)
Tom

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #119 on: May 03, 2015, 02:05 PM »

In the Tray Menu uncheck Snap Window to Quadrant.  With the "tic tac toe" move there's no real need for snap to quadrant.  If you want to make a 1/4 screen size window you can always use one of the customized sizes with hotkey-z.

I actually looked at the tray menu and managed to miss that [:we need a looking up to heaven smilie:]

:)

It is a bit misleading.  It might better be called "lazy drag to corner" or something similar.  :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: MoveIt 1.3.3.1 Preview
« Reply #120 on: August 26, 2015, 02:09 PM »
MoveIt 1.3.3.1 Preview  I thought it would feel more natural to use the Tic Tac Toe window positioning in MoveIt by dragging the window with the mouse as opposed to holding down the middle mouse button and pressing a number 1 to 9.

For this preview I have added the feature to Tic Tac Toe position by holding down the Control key while dragging the window.  The action is the same as Snap to Quadrant except the Control key is used instead of Alt.  It seems to work OK.  I have not added any documentation to the About Box (I don't know how much more I can fit there anyway) or the Readme file.

I have uploaded the attachment with just the MoveIt.exe if anyone would like to try it.

Edit: As you might expect it determines the grid location using the position of the mouse pointer when you stop dragging and let go of the Control key.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 02:49 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: MoveIt 1.3.3.1
« Reply #121 on: August 27, 2015, 07:17 AM »
MoveIt 1.3.3.1  Added Drag window with Control key to move window same as 1-9 Positioning.

Updated about box, Readme.txt and included source code.

Edit:  Perhaps this was obvious to everyone else but since I tripped over it I thought I would pass it on.  When dragging a window holding the Alt or Control key, I found that the hotkey triggered every time if I released the mouse button while still holding down the modifier key.  No need for retries.  In fact I found I could just hold down Control while dragging the window and release the mouse to pop the window into the various positions in the Tic Tac Toe grid.  It is much more reliable than releasing both simultaneously.

I added a note to the Readme.txt.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 01:43 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: MoveIt 1.3.3.2
« Reply #122 on: August 27, 2015, 02:44 PM »
MoveIt 1.3.3.2  Fixed a regression introduced in the last release that could interfere with Explorer file selection via Control key and Mouse.  I added a Hit test to make sure the mouse pointer is on the caption bar before moving the window.

Updated the Readme.txt.  Latest version has been uploaded.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: MoveIt 1.3.3.3
« Reply #123 on: August 31, 2015, 08:44 AM »
MoveIt 1.3.3.3  Reactivated the hit test for Snap to Quadrant.  This determines the mouse pointer is on the caption bar(the window is being dragged) when the keys are released.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: MoveIt 1.3.3.4
« Reply #124 on: January 01, 2016, 07:59 AM »
MoveIt 1.3.3.4  Added "One hand mode" to Tic Tac Toe window movement.  See revisions section of Readme.txt.

Basically sometimes it is awkward to hold down the control key while dragging a window to move it to a Tic Tac Toe position.  So I added a "one hand mode" methodology.  To use, hold down left mouse button on caption of window, then hold down right mouse button, drag, release left button, then release right button after the window moves.  To avoid context menu popup drag the right mouse button to desktop or off screen before releasing.

I didn't add it to the About Box.  Already too crowded and too complicated to add there.  But the Readme.txt revision section has the info.  If this mode interferes with some mouse gesture then keep running 1.3.3.3 instead as this is the only change.