topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:19 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

What will be your next computer?

Desktop
28 (59.6%)
Laptop
8 (17%)
Ultrabook
4 (8.5%)
Tablet
7 (14.9%)
Phone
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Last post Author Topic: What will be your next computer?  (Read 40989 times)

JimboNWUK

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What will be your next computer?
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2012, 04:21 PM »
Home 'puter is a local shop homebrew based on an ASUS P5 mobo that has served admirably for several years and is not yet creaking at the seams so it's fine...
I have a Samsung Galaxy II phone up at Android 4 so that is fine too
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab which is also at Android 4 and also fine (I got the tablet because reading pdf's on an ebook reader or smartphone is totally unfeasible in grey-scale and small screen)
I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop (upon which I am typing this) for travel (I work away from home on contract jobs) and so far it is perfect even though it's a couple of years old.
I suspect that Windoze 8 is going to be a massive shot in the foot for M$ as I do not need or want the ability to prod my finger at a screen on my desktop machine... I prefer my main screen to be clear of greasy fingerprints!
The only reason I stay with M$ is because of my collection of much-loved open-source software that it runs (7-zip, FreeClip, FreeFileSync, the truly fantabulous Sketchup from Google...the list is HUGE!). Also I DO actually have paid-for software I quite like (I have been a Serif PagePlus user since version 1.0!)
I would have no qualms about moving to "the Ultimate" which is a port of Ubuntu angled towards user-friendliness though if I could find enough stuff to do what I can do in Windoze without too huge a learning curve.

At the end of the day, my PC is a Swiss penknife electronic tool that helps me do stuff on a daily basis but if I can get a bootleg one made in Japan that does the same then I will go for it!

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2012, 05:29 PM »
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab which is also at Android 4 and also fine (I got the tablet because reading pdf's on an ebook reader or smartphone is totally unfeasible in grey-scale and small screen)

Have also had reading PDFs (and other docs) on a tablet working out well here :up:

Specifically the SGT 10.1 with its slimness (thanks lrs ;) ) is much appreciated for easily picking the device up as well as sliding it into a bag.  Some of the currently available tablets have crossed below a hindrance / encumberance threshold -- the brain isn't complaining very much about the thought of moving / carrying an appropriate tablet...certainly nowhere near the same levels as most notebook pcs I've tried.

Really miss all of the applications and programs I'm used to using on Windows and *NIX though.  AFAIU, Windows 8 tablets that use an Intel (not ARM) chip should be able to run (most?) existing Windows apps.  It seems like an interesting possibility.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2012, 10:25 PM »

Have also had reading PDFs (and other docs) on a tablet working out well here :up:

What are you using for PDFs?

I've been using Aldiko, and while it's ok, I still find that PDFs suck. Quite often I need to read in landscape and zoom on the PDF to read it, which is painful when you want to read/skim quickly - you're always panning and zooming, and the PDF speed there is just poor -- too much rendering and BS.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2012, 10:41 PM »
What are you using for PDFs?

I've been using Aldiko, and while it's ok, I still find that PDFs suck. Quite often I need to read in landscape and zoom on the PDF to read it, which is painful when you want to read/skim quickly - you're always panning and zooming, and the PDF speed there is just poor -- too much rendering and BS.

This is a case where having a number of apps around seems to have helped here.

Currently have Aldiko, Adobe's app, and on some devices QuickOffice (was bundled in a few cases) -- no single app seems to work well with all pdfs I read.

Combined with re-rendering the pdf -- sometimes by exporting to images and rebundling as pdf -- I get a mostly tolerable experience.

So to put it briefly, my experience has probably been similar to yours -- unsatisfactory reading experience in an absolute sense.  However, not having to be in front of a pc to read pcs has made it still worthwhile.

On a related note, with a Windows 8 (Intel) tablet, I presume we'd have access to our existing Windows pdf apps ;)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2012, 10:46 PM »
So to put it briefly, my experience has probably been similar to yours -- unsatisfactory reading experience in an absolute sense.  However, not having to be in front of a pc to read pcs has made it still worthwhile.

Yep. That pretty much sums it up. At least they're available off the desktop/laptop, even if they are sub-optimal. I tried on my phone... pain pain pain...
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2012, 03:18 AM »
At least they're available off the desktop/laptop, even if they are sub-optimal.

Indeed.

I tried on my phone... pain pain pain...
-Renegade

Yes -- recently I have gone in the direction of mostly using a phone for communicating via voice (plus logging of events via camera) and tablet for other things that are much more pleasant with larger visual spaces (which is to say a lot of things...).

FWIW, I've tried the Samsung Note.  Although I find its display is an improvement over smaller phones, I don't find it's worth the trade-off of it being more cumbersome to carry around.  I'm puzzled by its supposed popularity.

it turns out that...
The stand that comes with the Note can be used as a stand for the SGT 10.1 -- what a nice surprise!

The 7 or so inch form factor of the Nexus 7 and some Samsung tablets looks interesting, but when I gave reading pdfs on the former a try, I wasn't very happy with the results.  I appreciated the display size and slimness of the SGT 10.1 even more.  The weight angle of the 7 or so inch devices is tempting though.

I'm quite curious about how the Intel chip Windows 8 tablets will be received.  Will it turn out that many of the apps we already use will be mostly usable?  Could that mean less looking around for apps on Android (that sad to say often feel quite crippled in comparison to what's already available for Windows)?

BTW, on the off-chance you hadn't seen the following yet, thought you might appreciate:

https://aldiko.zendesk.com/entries/21256227-in-pdf-files-why-the-zoom-level-is-not-remembered-when-turning-page

dtsouers

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Derek.Souers.Org
    • View Profile
    • Derek Souers - Senior .Net Web Sofware Developer
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2012, 12:23 PM »
Probably another Lenovo notebook convertible (Tablet/Laptop mode).
Take a look at my website of Derek Souers - Senior .Net Web Sofware Developer:
http://derek.souers.org

sword

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2012, 02:30 PM »
Done. AMD FX 4100, 4 core, 64 bit, (temporary mobo): Asus M5ALM LX PLUS, (ordered mobo): Asus M5A97 R2.0 AMD 970/950, 8GB DDR3, DVDRW, WD5000. Linux Mint 13 KDE 64 bit.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2012, 03:01 PM »
My last workstation and server both lasted around 5 years - server got a couple of new disks, workstation saw some disk changes, got an SSD, a new SSD when the first (X25-E) fried, and had a single GPU upgrade (GT8800 -> GTX460). Upgraded both during the last few months, and these will hopefully last 5+ years as well. I ended up with:

Workstation:
   ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
   Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600MHz (4x8GB)
   Intel Core i7 3770 Ivy Bridge
   INTEL SSD 520 Series 120GB, 2012-07-13 efter X24-E fried
(below this line: parts from the old box)
   Corsair TX550M
   Western Digital 2.5" 300GB VelociRaptor
   Gigabyte GeForce GTX460 1024MB @ 2011-02-12

Server:
   Corsair 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz (2x4GB) XMS3
   ASUS P8Z77-M
   RaidSonic Icy Box IB-554SSK
   Corsair Obsidian Series 550D
   be quiet! Straight Power BQT E9-400W
   Intel Core i5-3550 Ivy Bridge

Win7-x64 on the workstation, Debian-x64 on the server.
- carpe noctem

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2012, 08:32 PM »
I don't really have workbench space to put together a build. But I'm wondering if anyone knows a good technical source  if a particular processor is likely to have fan noise issues? You can't really stress them on the store shelf.  Of all the HP machines I've purchased only 5200+ AMD dual core runs quiet with both cores at 100%. You can hear a hum. But my Phenom I as soon as there's the slightest CPU spike it sounds like there's a tropical storm outside.  There doesn't seem to be any user adjustable thresholds either.  I tried the bit of customizing the performance in device manger. Forget it. If I reduce it from min 100% and max 100% the timings of windows opening and programs launching is totally messed up. Big lags. Totally unusable. Must have only been tested at 100% power.

It's disappointing when the only real knock on the machine is the noise. It's just a big distraction. So my next PC would be quick and quiet as well as reasonably priced. :)

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2012, 08:46 PM »
I would like to know if you can run 32-bit programs now on Windows 7 64-bit? I don't want to have to throw away all my 32-bit programs. The last time I checked you couldn't do that.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2012, 09:36 PM »
I haven't noticed any (many?) things not working here -- I tend to still get 32-bit programs even when using Windows 7 64-bit.

The horse says:

Can I run 32-bit programs on a 64-bit computer?

Most programs designed for the 32-bit version of Windows will work on the 64-bit version of Windows. Notable exceptions are many antivirus programs.

Device drivers designed for the 32-bit version of Windows don't work on computers running a 64-bit version of Windows. If you're trying to install a printer or other device that only has 32-bit drivers available, it won't work correctly on a 64-bit version of Windows.

via http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions

May be I misunderstood the question?

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2012, 09:47 PM »
I haven't noticed any (many?) things not working here -- I tend to still get 32-bit programs even when using Windows 7 64-bit.

The horse says:

Can I run 32-bit programs on a 64-bit computer?

Most programs designed for the 32-bit version of Windows will work on the 64-bit version of Windows. Notable exceptions are many antivirus programs.

Device drivers designed for the 32-bit version of Windows don't work on computers running a 64-bit version of Windows. If you're trying to install a printer or other device that only has 32-bit drivers available, it won't work correctly on a 64-bit version of Windows.

via http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions

May be I misunderstood the question?

Thank you!

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2012, 01:13 AM »
Coming late to this thread without sufficient homework (don't hurt me!) if I did my plan right my current comp will ride out the Win 8 "deer-headlights" problem with Non-Metro. Then by Win 9 it should have figured itself out.

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2012, 09:42 AM »
Coming late to this thread too, out of necessity... my "next" computer was bought yesterday when my 5 year old (to the day!) dropped dead.  (At least I can salvage some parts...)

I needed one now so all I can say is thanks for Black Friday sales ;D

Ended up with an HP with an AMD A10, 8gb, and usb 3.  Suits my needs and snappier than my old box.

Oh yes, of course it came with Win 8 preinstalled.  With no previous experience I could muddle through most of what I had to have, although some of the decisions really seemed obstructive.   Like no easily discoverable way in Legacy Desktop to find your installed programs :huh:... it may be there, but rather than dig I supported a small software author by springing for Start8 ($4.95).  I will play with not-Metro on and off as I have time and inclination but as long as the desktop works I know I can do what I need done.  So far.  :P
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2012, 09:51 AM »
Coming late to this thread too, out of necessity... my "next" computer was bought yesterday when my 5 year old (to the day!) dropped dead.  (At least I can salvage some parts...)

:o :tellme: :'(

Missing Noun Alert! Your five year old dropped dead on his/her birthday and you salvaged the parts?!

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2012, 10:51 AM »
Missing Noun Alert! Your five year old dropped dead on his/her birthday and you salvaged the parts?!

Oh, did I forget to mention the bathtub of ice water? ;D

Those dratted nouns, people always ask questions when they go missing...  :P
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2012, 10:23 AM »

Oh, did I forget to mention the bathtub of ice water? ;D

Those dratted nouns, people always ask questions when they go missing...  :P

You should be able to get away with it unless you are being stalked by the grammar police.