ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What will be your next computer?

<< < (12/14) > >>

ewemoa:
At least they're available off the desktop/laptop, even if they are sub-optimal.
-Renegade (October 19, 2012, 10:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Indeed.

I tried on my phone... pain pain pain...
-Renegade
--- End quote ---

Yes -- recently I have gone in the direction of mostly using a phone for communicating via voice (plus logging of events via camera) and tablet for other things that are much more pleasant with larger visual spaces (which is to say a lot of things...).

FWIW, I've tried the Samsung Note.  Although I find its display is an improvement over smaller phones, I don't find it's worth the trade-off of it being more cumbersome to carry around.  I'm puzzled by its supposed popularity.

it turns out that...The stand that comes with the Note can be used as a stand for the SGT 10.1 -- what a nice surprise!

The 7 or so inch form factor of the Nexus 7 and some Samsung tablets looks interesting, but when I gave reading pdfs on the former a try, I wasn't very happy with the results.  I appreciated the display size and slimness of the SGT 10.1 even more.  The weight angle of the 7 or so inch devices is tempting though.

I'm quite curious about how the Intel chip Windows 8 tablets will be received.  Will it turn out that many of the apps we already use will be mostly usable?  Could that mean less looking around for apps on Android (that sad to say often feel quite crippled in comparison to what's already available for Windows)?

BTW, on the off-chance you hadn't seen the following yet, thought you might appreciate:

https://aldiko.zendesk.com/entries/21256227-in-pdf-files-why-the-zoom-level-is-not-remembered-when-turning-page

dtsouers:
Probably another Lenovo notebook convertible (Tablet/Laptop mode).

sword:
Done. AMD FX 4100, 4 core, 64 bit, (temporary mobo): Asus M5ALM LX PLUS, (ordered mobo): Asus M5A97 R2.0 AMD 970/950, 8GB DDR3, DVDRW, WD5000. Linux Mint 13 KDE 64 bit.

f0dder:
My last workstation and server both lasted around 5 years - server got a couple of new disks, workstation saw some disk changes, got an SSD, a new SSD when the first (X25-E) fried, and had a single GPU upgrade (GT8800 -> GTX460). Upgraded both during the last few months, and these will hopefully last 5+ years as well. I ended up with:

Workstation:
   ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
   Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600MHz (4x8GB)
   Intel Core i7 3770 Ivy Bridge
   INTEL SSD 520 Series 120GB, 2012-07-13 efter X24-E fried
(below this line: parts from the old box)
   Corsair TX550M
   Western Digital 2.5" 300GB VelociRaptor
   Gigabyte GeForce GTX460 1024MB @ 2011-02-12

Server:
   Corsair 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz (2x4GB) XMS3
   ASUS P8Z77-M
   RaidSonic Icy Box IB-554SSK
   Corsair Obsidian Series 550D
   be quiet! Straight Power BQT E9-400W
   Intel Core i5-3550 Ivy Bridge

Win7-x64 on the workstation, Debian-x64 on the server.

MilesAhead:
I don't really have workbench space to put together a build. But I'm wondering if anyone knows a good technical source  if a particular processor is likely to have fan noise issues? You can't really stress them on the store shelf.  Of all the HP machines I've purchased only 5200+ AMD dual core runs quiet with both cores at 100%. You can hear a hum. But my Phenom I as soon as there's the slightest CPU spike it sounds like there's a tropical storm outside.  There doesn't seem to be any user adjustable thresholds either.  I tried the bit of customizing the performance in device manger. Forget it. If I reduce it from min 100% and max 100% the timings of windows opening and programs launching is totally messed up. Big lags. Totally unusable. Must have only been tested at 100% power.

It's disappointing when the only real knock on the machine is the noise. It's just a big distraction. So my next PC would be quick and quiet as well as reasonably priced. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version