ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What will be your next computer?

<< < (11/14) > >>

JimboNWUK:
Home 'puter is a local shop homebrew based on an ASUS P5 mobo that has served admirably for several years and is not yet creaking at the seams so it's fine...
I have a Samsung Galaxy II phone up at Android 4 so that is fine too
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab which is also at Android 4 and also fine (I got the tablet because reading pdf's on an ebook reader or smartphone is totally unfeasible in grey-scale and small screen)
I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop (upon which I am typing this) for travel (I work away from home on contract jobs) and so far it is perfect even though it's a couple of years old.
I suspect that Windoze 8 is going to be a massive shot in the foot for M$ as I do not need or want the ability to prod my finger at a screen on my desktop machine... I prefer my main screen to be clear of greasy fingerprints!
The only reason I stay with M$ is because of my collection of much-loved open-source software that it runs (7-zip, FreeClip, FreeFileSync, the truly fantabulous Sketchup from Google...the list is HUGE!). Also I DO actually have paid-for software I quite like (I have been a Serif PagePlus user since version 1.0!)
I would have no qualms about moving to "the Ultimate" which is a port of Ubuntu angled towards user-friendliness though if I could find enough stuff to do what I can do in Windoze without too huge a learning curve.

At the end of the day, my PC is a Swiss penknife electronic tool that helps me do stuff on a daily basis but if I can get a bootleg one made in Japan that does the same then I will go for it!

ewemoa:
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab which is also at Android 4 and also fine (I got the tablet because reading pdf's on an ebook reader or smartphone is totally unfeasible in grey-scale and small screen)
-JimboNWUK (October 19, 2012, 04:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Have also had reading PDFs (and other docs) on a tablet working out well here :up:

Specifically the SGT 10.1 with its slimness (thanks lrs ;) ) is much appreciated for easily picking the device up as well as sliding it into a bag.  Some of the currently available tablets have crossed below a hindrance / encumberance threshold -- the brain isn't complaining very much about the thought of moving / carrying an appropriate tablet...certainly nowhere near the same levels as most notebook pcs I've tried.

Really miss all of the applications and programs I'm used to using on Windows and *NIX though.  AFAIU, Windows 8 tablets that use an Intel (not ARM) chip should be able to run (most?) existing Windows apps.  It seems like an interesting possibility.

Renegade:
-JimboNWUK (October 19, 2012, 04:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Have also had reading PDFs (and other docs) on a tablet working out well here :up:
-ewemoa (October 19, 2012, 05:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

What are you using for PDFs?

I've been using Aldiko, and while it's ok, I still find that PDFs suck. Quite often I need to read in landscape and zoom on the PDF to read it, which is painful when you want to read/skim quickly - you're always panning and zooming, and the PDF speed there is just poor -- too much rendering and BS.

ewemoa:
What are you using for PDFs?

I've been using Aldiko, and while it's ok, I still find that PDFs suck. Quite often I need to read in landscape and zoom on the PDF to read it, which is painful when you want to read/skim quickly - you're always panning and zooming, and the PDF speed there is just poor -- too much rendering and BS.
-Renegade (October 19, 2012, 10:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is a case where having a number of apps around seems to have helped here.

Currently have Aldiko, Adobe's app, and on some devices QuickOffice (was bundled in a few cases) -- no single app seems to work well with all pdfs I read.

Combined with re-rendering the pdf -- sometimes by exporting to images and rebundling as pdf -- I get a mostly tolerable experience.

So to put it briefly, my experience has probably been similar to yours -- unsatisfactory reading experience in an absolute sense.  However, not having to be in front of a pc to read pcs has made it still worthwhile.

On a related note, with a Windows 8 (Intel) tablet, I presume we'd have access to our existing Windows pdf apps ;)

Renegade:
So to put it briefly, my experience has probably been similar to yours -- unsatisfactory reading experience in an absolute sense.  However, not having to be in front of a pc to read pcs has made it still worthwhile.
-ewemoa (October 19, 2012, 10:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yep. That pretty much sums it up. At least they're available off the desktop/laptop, even if they are sub-optimal. I tried on my phone... pain pain pain...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version