ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What will be your next computer?

<< < (4/14) > >>

Renegade:
The only catch: the laptop's going to gather dust once the desktop is operational. I'll probably start it up once a week or so for backup and maintenance.
-nosh (May 19, 2012, 11:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's a real b**ch to do, especially if you run Outlook. You end up hosed for all that time that the laptop is updating as your email server is locked until the laptop has finally finished updating Outlook.

Weekly is probably OK, but you still need to schedule it, depending on how much email you have, in terms of MB of data to download.

I plan a few days ahead for that when I travel. It sucks. :(

mouser:
It will be a new Windows desktop for me when the time comes.  My current PC has served me very well and I'm not a fan of the new UAC user access control stuff in recent versions of windows, but my current PC is probably 5-6 years old and though it runs ok, it's definitely getting a bit cranky, and windows XP x64 is not the best supported OS at this point.

The only thing I'm considering doing differently is with regard to hard drives.. I think i'll give some serious thought to using a RAID setup on the new machine, as HD crashes are the only thing that really scare me.

SKA:
Mouser

Instead of cloud backup or RAID in any form what you need is Drobo S with Beyond Raid:
http://www.drobo.com/products/professionals/drobo-s/

Rgds
Ska

lothark:
An 11" Ivy Bridge Ultrabook for me, which I would use mainly whilst traveling with my wife. In the past I've used 7" and 9" Asus Eee netbooks, but the keyboard is a pain to use. After upgrading my DLSR recently I discovered that the Eee is now just too slow for handling the now-larger images. This is important as I take over 10,000 photos each trip.

My concern now is being able to get one before our next trip, as they (Asus UX21A) are not currently available in Australia. I briefly flirted with the idea of getting the corresponding Macbook Air, but the thought of having to master a substantial learning curve at short notice made me abandon that idea.

40hz:
I need three. Which I get first will probably depend on what I can afford when I decide to buy one.

1. A mini-PC running Linux as my main go-to machine

2. A small 'nothing fancy' laptop running Windows 7 for onsite use when dealing with clients

3. An easily transportable not laptop for use with music apps. Since I'm starting to veer towards ProTools there's a good chance that (much as I hate to say it) I may opt for a MacMini - assuming Apple is still making them by the time I get around to it.

I'm also waiting for the Raspberry Pi I ordered. That's the one that has me totally 'juiced' right now. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version