topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:07 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Aptana Studio 3 ROCKS~! (IDE for JavaScript)  (Read 10023 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Aptana Studio 3 ROCKS~! (IDE for JavaScript)
« on: May 17, 2012, 12:53 AM »
My general disdain for JavaScript isn't much of a secret, and I pretty much hate coding any JavaScript at all... However... Man... Aptana Studio 3 makes it SOOOO much better! It could even become enjoyable!

IDEs like Visual Studio are simply too good. Way too good. They spoil you with all kinds of things like code completion and all manner of goodies. Aptana Studio isn't VS, but man... It's close, and certainly makes JavaScript programming much nicer. (And certainly better for JS than VS is -- VS sucks for JS programming.)

Anyways, just thought I'd pass on that recommendation for anyone who does JS, and especially for those that are used to IDEs like VS.

http://aptana.com/

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Aptana Studio 3 ROCKS~! (IDE for JavaScript)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 01:30 AM »
Aptana Studio isn't VS, but man... It's close, and certainly makes JavaScript programming much nicer.
You could just have said that Aptana is in fact a customized release of Eclipse 3.x, but maybe that's too much for a VS addict like you :P

They do have quite amazing Javascript support, yeah!

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 03:07 AM »
Aptana Studio isn't VS, but man... It's close, and certainly makes JavaScript programming much nicer.
You could just have said that Aptana is in fact a customized release of Eclipse 3.x, but maybe that's too much for a VS addict like you :P

They do have quite amazing Javascript support, yeah!

I didn't want to scare people off by saying the "E" word! :D :P

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 03:16 AM »
I didn't want to scare people off by saying the "E" word! :D :P
Some ppl actually like that "E" thing :-* but I don't wanna start another flame/praise thread about IDE's.

As (we already) said, Aptana is great for JS, and ofc also for other web-related development (it supports nearly anything that is used for website development), and it's also available as an Eclipse plugin.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 05:53 AM »
You could just have said that Aptana is in fact a customized release of Eclipse 3.x...

Is it? That's weird. I think I've used Aptana before and liked it a lot for JS. But I've also used Eclipse before and didn't like it very much.

:huh:

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 06:14 AM »
Is it? That's weird. I think I've used Aptana before and liked it a lot for JS. But I've also used Eclipse before and didn't like it very much.
I'm using Eclipse 3.7.x with Java a lot,
o_O
and I prefer it much over NetBeans (7.x), even though that NB has some convenience points over Eclipse (mostly related to the default project/deployment features of the standard Ant build script, but I have my own set of Ant scripts).
I wish I had a same level IDE for C# (comparing usefulness and speed with VS2010... :P, and yes, I'm running W7x64 on an i7-860 with 8 GB memory).
OTOH, using Eclipse with C/C++ is IMHO absolute horror, compared even to Borland C++Builder 5 or 6.

Hm, still got trapped into that IDE-war, though I didn't want to go there :huh:

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 08:24 AM »
Heck... I don't need to beat on Eclipse! You're doing a very good job already Ath~! ;D

Just kidding~!

Eclipse is a very competent IDE, though like all IDEs, it's better at some things and nasty at others. e.g. VS is awful for JavaScript. It's basically useless.

Anyways, I got done what I wanted with Aptana. And man... Aptana has SERIOUSLY curbed my hatred for JavaScript. It really makes JavaScript much nicer to use~!

Even more on the topic of my hatred for JS... I don't think I really hate it anymore. Aptana was that nice to use!

But, here's what I was working on:

http://cynic.me/2012...e-banking-simulator/

Frackin-reserve-web-edition.png

It's a simple little thing, but I got it done fairly quickly. Especially considering I've done very little JS programming lately and am pretty rusty.

I've also developed a new respect for JavaScript. It's fast enough to do what I was looking to do, and does it well even. I've been so horribly disenchanted by crappy web programming crashing my browser or grinding it to a halt, that I didn't think it would work. (I know a few years back that JS simply couldn't do it on the hardware at the time as I'd tested some iterative logic.)

In a word... Wow. I'm impressed.

But, it still makes me wonder just how in Hades some web sites manage to grind the browser down? Well, that's with some plugins working, but whatever. Plugins are done in JS anyways, so same horse, different steamer. :P

However, my forward looking hope is to transition over to another IDE later on as I'm still on my "divorce yourself from MS" mission. It's harder than it sounds... :(

clo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 09:27 AM »
I prefer to use Codelobster
It has best JavaScript autocomplete.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 02:16 PM »
I prefer to use [the product I am affiliated with]

Until you're established - especially when you're recommending your product, you want to make that association clear.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 03:37 PM by wraith808 »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 03:23 PM »
I prefer to use [the product I am affiliated with]

Until you're established - especially when you're recommending your product, you want to make that association clear.

@clo: Yup. Reviving a 3 year old thread to surreptitiously promote your own product certainly doesn't look very good.