ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Kiss Your Browser Goodbye - Windows 8 to BAN Firefox and Chrome

<< < (2/5) > >>

daddydave:
I love the way the teaser headline contradicts the article, extremely typical these days. In the future there will be no articles, only teaser headlines. That's the only part people remember when they retell the story anyway (present company excepted, of course).

A more accurate headline would be "There's still not an ARM version of Firefox, if anyone cares"

wraith808:
This only applies to the tablet/smartphone/whatever version of windows, where applications must be programmed using a specific language which is not what firefox is coded in. It's a situation not unlike what happens in android/ios, I'm not surprised. I would be worried if this were to happen on the "regular" desktop Windows.-jgpaiva (May 16, 2012, 05:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 - I can't use FF on my current Windows 7 phone either ... So what exactly is "changing"? Sounds like chapter two of the Vista era FUD bashing fad is cranking up to me.  :-\
-Stoic Joker (May 16, 2012, 06:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

^ This.

Carol Haynes:
What a stupid article - Firefox and Chrome will run just fine on Windows 8 on a PC, laptop or x86 tablet (so long as you have access to the desktop).

It is only Win 8 on ARM devices that won't support alternative browsers - which Microsoft have said all along will not contain a desktop.

I suppose they could start selling an ARM version Firefox or Chrome app for Metro through Microsoft's App Store. If MS refuse to do that then I am sure a lawsuit would follow - which might have interesting repercussions for Apple and Safari on iOS.

Who cares anyway - is anyone going to actually buy a Metro tablet? I would guess anyone who wants a tablet has already opted for Apple or Android.

Forcing people to use Internet Explorer on tablets is another good reason to avoid Metro, and the lack of any third party addons kills it in the water. I think it says a lot for IE that in Windows 7 MS ask you constantly to disable addons to make it work faster. MS just can't write browsers!

Maybe MS will start giving them away with cornflakes to make their sales look good.

jgpaiva:
Maybe MS will start giving them away with cornflakes to make their sales look good.
-Carol Haynes (May 16, 2012, 08:45 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yep, from what I understand, Nokia is now selling their top-of-the-line (windows) phone for 99USD in the US, which is pretty much the same ;)

Renegade:
Well, yeah, it's just Windows RT, but whatever. Sure there's no FF ARM version, but Mozilla has obviously been following what's going on there if they came out swinging like this.

And yes, some FUD there, but really... Can you possibly underestimate just how evil MS can be? :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version