ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Kiss Your Browser Goodbye - Windows 8 to BAN Firefox and Chrome

(1/5) > >>

Renegade:
I can just hear the sinister laughter coming out of Redmond now...

http://thehackernews.com/2012/05/windows-8-operating-system-will-ban.html

A new version of the Windows 8 operating system could shut out browsers such as Firefox and Chrome, according to Mozilla. Microsoft has been saying all along that x86 apps wouldn't run on Windows on ARM and it explicitly said there would be no third-party code on Windows RT when it announced the details of the platform back in February.

That's no plugins for IE on the Windows RT desktop as well as no desktop Firefox and Chrome. According to Mozilla, the makers of Firefox, Microsoft is planning to allow only one fully-functioning browser on Windows RT: Microsoft's own Internet Explorer. Writing on the Mozilla blog, Harvey Anderson, general counsel for the company, lashed out at Microsoft for the slight, and called the alleged move "an unwelcome return to the digital dark ages where users and developers didn’t have browser choices."
--- End quote ---

Guess MS is finally learning some lessons from Apple. :P

I can't wait to divorce myself from my dependency on Windows... :(  :mad:

Deozaan:
What the smurf is Windows RT?

mahesh2k:
Walled garden is not that bad but walled zoo is defo bad.  :down:

jgpaiva:
What the smurf is Windows RT?
-Deozaan (May 16, 2012, 04:25 AM)
--- End quote ---
see here.
This only applies to the tablet/smartphone/whatever version of windows, where applications must be programmed using a specific language which is not what firefox is coded in. It's a situation not unlike what happens in android/ios, I'm not surprised. I would be worried if this were to happen on the "regular" desktop Windows.

Stoic Joker:
This only applies to the tablet/smartphone/whatever version of windows, where applications must be programmed using a specific language which is not what firefox is coded in. It's a situation not unlike what happens in android/ios, I'm not surprised. I would be worried if this were to happen on the "regular" desktop Windows.-jgpaiva (May 16, 2012, 05:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 - I can't use FF on my current Windows 7 phone either ... So what exactly is "changing"? Sounds like chapter two of the Vista era FUD bashing fad is cranking up to me.  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version