topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:23 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Apple drops '4G' from iPad adverts  (Read 2376 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Apple drops '4G' from iPad adverts
« on: May 15, 2012, 06:04 PM »
Apple has stopped using the phrase 4G in adverts for its latest iPad.

The description proved controversial because 4G is not widely available in the UK and the iPad will not work with it when it is.

The UK's advertising watchdog and others around the world investigated Apple over use of the 4G phrase.

Apple said the confusion arose because of the ways operators refer to different high-speed mobile technologies.
Word jumble

When the newest version of the iPad was launched in March, adverts for the device claimed it would work with 4G, meaning fourth generation, mobile technology. The 4G in question was a technology known as Long Term Evolution (LTE) that was starting to appear in the US.

However, when LTE arrives in Britain, the rest of Europe and many other nations, it will use different frequencies from those in the US, meaning the iPad will not be able to use 4G everywhere.

Read More: http://www.bbc.co.uk.../technology-18059732

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Apple drops '4G' from iPad adverts
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 09:11 PM »
They got called out on it in Australia by the ACCC, (Australian Competition and Consumer Commission), a couple of months ago because they put 4G on the boxes and lo and behold....it didn't work for exactly the same reason.

You really have to wonder if there are any engineers wandering around Apple saying, (about marketroids), "I told them it wouldn't work."

SeraphimLabs

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • Be Ready
    • View Profile
    • SeraphimLabs
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 09:34 PM »
Most places in the US don't have proper 4GLTE coverage either. In fact I just today discovered that my cell modem has finally detected a 4G-capable tower within range of my house, I've owned the thing over a year already.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 04:12 PM »
Interestingly Advertising Standards told Apple to withdraw the 4G claims a while ago and Apple agreed to do it and then totally ignored them. I can't remember where I saw the article but it was only when Advertising Standards threatened them with sanctions that Apple started to take any notice.