topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:56 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Contest - Come up with a novel idea for DonationCredits  (Read 31761 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Contest - Come up with a novel idea for DonationCredits
« on: April 06, 2006, 07:13 AM »
The DonationCredits system is quite flexible -
one of the nice things we implemented was the ability to create "fund" accounts which people can donate into and which show their current status and goal, and are listed on the donate page (click the gold coin at top of page).

one particularly interesting aspect of funds is that it's easy to make a fund where which treats money donated to it as a "pledge" which can be refunded if the project is canceled.

that is, we could set up a fund to do something, for example let's say we wanted to have a party, so we say that if we can raise $500 then we can book a hotel, and if we can't raise it by a certain date, all money would get refunded automatically.  the nice idea here is that it lets people avoid the risk of putting in money and losing it if project is canceled.  The credit system was designed for these kinds of cancelations so it's very easy to do.

now i'm sure there are some more novel ideas that would be in keeping with this spirit of this site.. can you think of any?

we'll give away some prize credits to anyone who can come up with a novel innovative thing to add to DonationCredits...

What can you come up with?

tsaint

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Hi from the a*** end of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Contest - Come up with a novel idea for DonationCredits
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 08:14 AM »
would that $500 include plane tickets too? :huh:

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 09:00 AM »
It's getting very much like a barter system, eh? Which is good.

It's pretty easy to see the major contributors to the site and who should be major recipients of $DCs, but like you said, the beauty of this system is that the scale goes right down.

For example: you could implement System Donations, eg:
  • 0.1 DC for each post in recognition of the benefit made to the site as a whole
  • 1.0 DC for each mini-review
which could come out of the 50% redistribution of the donation.

I'd image most people would pass those System generated points to the major contributors or other funds anyway, but it seemed like a community-based way to distribute the points.

I guess if there was a large group project it would also come in handy as someone could contribute to the project and the project team would then redistribute the donations amongst the team members as per their agreement.

The other thing that comes to mind is that anyone can then make some sort of goods or service available and be donated to: but that's back to my original "barter system" again: Person A has made a font, Person B has drawn some icons, Person C has written a library and Person Z has used them in his programme (and made suitable DonationCredits).

I think you're right: it can be good fun!

tsaint

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Hi from the a*** end of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 11:16 PM »
Carol mentioned about helping out a local museum in regard to Object VR. Made the point that they are not really computer literate and she didn't have access to their web server.
Made me wonder whether we could offer some DC web space, funded by credits, to groups deemed worthy of a bit of support if there's some sort of connection to a DC member as in the example just quoted. Needn't be for a whole website, but as in the example, could just have a specialized bit of stuff.

It would be a community service, it should be low bandwidth and it could have subtle DC branding.

A list of objections re practicality would probably take me too long to type - treat this as a KIV sort of idea worth considering

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 11:21 PM »
i am always open to providing web space to people who need it and dont have other resources.

Cpilot

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Bite Notes
    • Donate to Member
Re: Contest - Come up with a novel idea for Donation Credits
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 12:05 AM »
One thing I would like to see added to the forum is a form of "Graphics" snacks.
There are those of us who are "artistically" impaired and would like to be able to request maybe unique Icons, skins, bitmaps, jpegs etc. to use in their applications. 
Maybe provide a way to allow private graphic designs for those who want to copyright particular designs and such.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 02:15 AM »
One thing I would like to see added to the forum is a form of "Graphics" snacks.
There are those of us who are "artistically" impaired and would like to be able to request maybe unique Icons, skins, bitmaps, jpegs etc. to use in their applications. 
Maybe provide a way to allow private graphic designs for those who want to copyright particular designs and such.

i'm not saying this is a good or a bad idea, Cpilot, but aren't there other forums that cater for this already?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 02:19 AM »
it's really a fantastic idea, but that's the only question - whether the existing graphics-centric board dont already do this well enough to make it a bad idea for us to try to do it here also.

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 06:00 AM »
Here's an idea: not ground shattering mind you, but it would be nice.

Have an easy way to donate to everyone who has partisipated in a topic. It would be like the "search for a specific user" feature, but would list all the members that posted at once. Then you could go down the list and give as you see fit.

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 06:03 AM »
Here's another one:

Maybe some kind of donation matching system. Mouser or a moderator could propose a project that needs to be done and what percentage of donationcredits DC is willing to "match" (maybe something like 20%). Then as people donate, DonationCoder throws in 20% to sweeten the pot.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 06:08 AM »
matching credits - now that is brilliant.
ok you win a prize with that one. makes so much sense. we can have funds where the site promises to pledge matching credits. really nice idea.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 06:08 AM »
It would be like the "search for a specific user" feature, but would list all the members that posted at once. Then you could go down the list and give as you see fit.

this is actually a good idea as well.. just have to figure out how to implement it in current framework.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 06:42 AM »
I like the graphics idea too, but I guess where it really works is when it fits with THIS community; so it has some focus.

Another idea (which again is done on other sites, as well as here in various places) is an experts exchange (funny: this whole site is an experts exchange). It actually was Hirudin's quote:
Have an easy way to donate to everyone who has partisipated in a topic. It would be like the "search for a specific user" feature, but would list all the members that posted at once. Then you could go down the list and give as you see fit.

Made me think of posting a question in a specific forum and various people post replies and answers; the ability to view a list of repliers with the option of donating would be helpful, not only to the original poster but other people who the thread has helped.

Cpilot

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Bite Notes
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2006, 07:15 AM »
i'm not saying this is a good or a bad idea, Cpilot, but aren't there other forums that cater for this already?
Possibly, but then again there are other websites that contract custom written software also. If you go by that argument coding snacks become moot.
The difference is in the uniqueness of someone throwing out a request and several people using their different talents to provide a solution. Then people have several to choose from.
Plus it would be another way for non-coders and/or non-writers to participate in receiving donation credits for their talents.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2006, 07:25 AM »
As I've said before in another threads, I don't think that's the right way to think. Coding snacks "by contract" is not the right way to go. It goes against the concept of coding snacks, I think the right way to do it is if the person likes the helper's answer, then the person can donate. If the person can't donate, then, they can express their thanks in other ways. So, al least the way I see it, coding snacks section can't really be compared to "ther websites that contract custom written software". I'm not in any ways saying your idea is not good, I'm just enphasising that coding snacks don't have to be payed, it's up to the requester's conscience to decide so.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2006, 07:39 AM »
i would agree that we have to be very careful that we dont turn this play into just another sell things for highest price site.  we all know that is not what dc is about.  we have to make sure we keep with the donation-based spirit.

it's fine if people want to make arrangements for fees for bigger projects - i am all in favor of people finding jobs here. i think that would be a nice thing.

but we just want to make sure we dont lose the generous nature of the place.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2006, 08:00 AM »

And I think CPilot and jgpaiva summed it up nicely for me: What DC needs to be able to do is give the DC users the tools to make donations as easy and quick as possible.

In the end what goes round comes round: If the site is based on generosity then users will be.

Cpilot

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Bite Notes
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2006, 08:50 AM »
We seem to be losing sight of my suggestion. Graphics snacks would be on par with coding snacks. It's just another way to be more "inclusive".
sheesh :wallbash:

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2006, 08:54 AM »
maybe we don't need a special section for such a thing - just make the graphics request and you can always hand out your DC credits as you see fit.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2006, 10:16 AM »
cpilot i understood your idea completely, and i like it.
im just taking the opportunity at every stage to remind us all that we want to take care in all we do not to lose the spirit of the site.

Baseman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2006, 09:04 AM »
OK so everyone is busy having their say and anyone can come up with an idea...I would like to say this: In my opinion there are a lot of needy people...(OK besides myself and others on this forum who are less fortunate) All I Hear is about 'Coding snacks' and so on let's also think about the 'Less Fortunate' how about a 'Wish List' Kitty (Not the meowing type) Where at least members can donate a little something whenever it pleases them which piles up and once the target is reached so you buy whatever is really needed (In this event you would find out from homes EXAMPLE: 'Disabled' (Wheelchairs)...'For the Blind' (Guide Dogs ect) ...(Childrens homes)...What ever may be really an advantage to the individual, obviously looking at the own interest of Donationcoder.com (which would come first)...I think what goes round comes around...After all this is the Donationcoder.com forum...Just another crazy idea! :Thmbsup:
GetBackData...Security Awareness...Beta Tester

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2006, 09:11 AM »
i like the idea of having a fund available that people can donate to for some good cause..
but maybe we can find a cause that will help out in a way related to the site... not sure what that would be.. maybe a charitable fund to bring computers to schools that can't afford them?

Baseman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2006, 09:34 AM »
That sounds like a good idea :Thmbsup:...At least it would open a new window to the rest of the world...i.e. Education ect and giving them the opertunety of discovering that there is more to life than they just live in...
GetBackData...Security Awareness...Beta Tester
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 09:40 AM by Baseman »

Cavalcader

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Live Long & Prosper
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2006, 09:20 PM »
not sure what that would be.. maybe a charitable fund to bring computers to schools that can't afford them?
I know it's easy for me to sit back and take potshots at other people's ideas :-[ but there're already groups that work towards school computers -- and then it's just another piece of equipment/furniture collecting dust, breaking down or being outdated pretty quick.

If we put the muscle of a whole community behind a charitable venture, shouldn't it be something where at least one person can look back and say "wow, that really changed things for me!", you know? With computers being a commodity in many countries (I know, not all) it seems sorta impersonal somehow. There're also groups that manage charitable seeing-eye dogs and so on -- maybe it could be something more unique if it's going outside the concept of coding rewards.

I'll be thinking about something more useful to suggest, rather than just trying to shoot holes in others' ideas ;) but that was just kinda my first reaction...
My Linguistic Profile:
  40% General American English
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

What Kind of American English Do You Speak?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2006, 02:33 AM »
regarding the charity fund, cavalcader i think i agree with your general sentiment -
let's try to focus on something that is somehow related to this site,
and something that can have an impact we can see if possible, something unique if possible.
however let's not kid ourselves - not much money comes into this site, it's not like we are rolling in cash and need to find places to send it all.  so this is a very modest attempt at providing a fund where people can chip in some credits.

ok so let's keep the ideas flowing, not just charity ideas but any ideas relating to DonationCedit things we coudl do.