ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

powerful undo

<< < (3/3)

Ampa:
@skwire: I think you're coming at this from the wrong end... no need to monitor and record all those things! Simply with the invention of a time machine it would be easy to step back to an earlier moment in the 4th dimension, with no need to 'undo' anything - physics would take care of it all!

skwire:
@skwire: I think you're coming at this from the wrong end... no need to monitor and record all those things! Simply with the invention of a time machine it would be easy to step back to an earlier moment in the 4th dimension, with no need to 'undo' anything - physics would take care of it all!-Ampa (May 19, 2012, 10:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ha.   :P  If it were that easy...

kalos:
an OS with such feature implemented in OS-level would be marvelous!

jgpaiva:
In terms of filesystems, there are a bunch of them that don't really delete anything and keep a previous version of every item. Obviously, they can run out of space quickly, and finding the specific previous version you are looking for might be a small nightmare.
What you mentioned also seems vaguely related to Shadow Copyw.
But at least in terms of deleted files, I believe the best option is to extend the recycle bin maximum size to the max (see here). This allows you to retrieve everything you delete from the recycle bin.

tomos:
For important work, I use FileHamster (FH) - it will archive a copy of your file when you save it - lots of other apps do this, often even better than FH, but FH has the ability to save a note with each backup version. Also it has a reasonable viewer for looking at your backup/related-notes. It works reasonably well and has great potential imo, but neither the general public nor the developers seem interested in extending it (e.g. via tagging of files). See here for more details of my usage if you're interested. You'll need the full "Advanced" paid version (I think there's a trial).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version