ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: move small dialog windows to cursor position

<< < (3/39) > >>

nudone:
ignore what i said about:

PredefWinHeight:=600
PredefWinWidth:=600

that's the bit that's making my windows go funny.

jgpaiva:
Ok.. I did a small update, now it constrains the message boxes to the screen.
What I've been thinking about is how it somehow makes the windows act funny. Sometimes it resizes them, other times, it hides them, something is not right. But i have no command in it that could do that, so i guess i could blaim it on ahk.
BTW, does it act funny with you too?

.exe file: http://jgpaiva.dcmembers.com/CS/DialogMove/DialogMove.exe
.ahk file: http://jgpaiva.dcmembers.com/CS/DialogMove/DialogMove.ahk

jgpaiva:
I must say I'm starting to think this is a great idea. I even am trying to use it myself.
@brotherS: if you like to use the "jump to box" function, I recomend you to try this script, it's much less intrusive than that method, and it allows for a better flow of work (and i know you love stuff that improves your flow of work ;) )

Still, i get a bit of an erroneous behaviour, which if I don't find the solution to, I will post at AHK's forum, since this shouldn't be happening.
Any opinions, nudone?

nudone:
i'm about to try the new version now, jgpaiva, so i'll report back soon.

it would be very interesting to hear what brotherS thinks to all this. i've been convinced for years that this method would be a significant improvement on gui functionality and is also the most logical when you think about it - afterall, why should a dialog window always popup in the center of the screen? other windows often remember their last closed positions and now that we've moved away from 640 x 480 resolutions screens there's a lot of 'desktop' to cover.

think of it this way: if you are using a dual monitor set up, i'm sure you'd find it annoying having to 'spot' and 'click' on a dialog that popped up on the opposite monitor you were working on. even with the cursor jump method you'd still have to move your cursor a full screen back to the original monitor - that is simply a bad gui method. okay, i know many apps will open up their dialogue windows on the correct monitor the main app is running on but i've certainly used others that don't quite understand how to behave with a dual monitor arrangement. my method would cure that.

nudone:
i'm wondering is this perhaps going to work better with a preset list of small dialog windows that it should operate with?

this would stop the strange shrinking window effect on the windows that suffer from this and it would also prevent other things i've just noticed - one of my winamp windows (that is quite small) jumped around when i didn't want it to.

as the main annoyance that prompted me to suggest this method was from the small system dialogs that appear throughout the day, i think a simple list could be made so that 'dialogmove' could just catch them on opening.

the list would include all the usual culprits (these are the from their title bars):

confirm file delete (after clicking empty recycle bin)
save
open
find
confirmation
end program

i'm sure there are more but i can't get any to appear at the moment as i can't think what would bring them up.

there also appear to be awkward small dialog windows that would have to be catered for. for example: when photoshop asks if you want to save a file the dialog that pops up says 'Adobe Photoshop' in its title bar and then 'save...' in the text below.

i'm going to try and get my script working again that i had done before and see if it also has the shrink window problem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version