ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: move small dialog windows to cursor position

(1/39) > >>

nudone:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=302.msg2140#msg2140

this original request was made a few months ago but it appears no one was up for the challenge - so, i'm resurrecting the request with a reward for 100 DC credits to anyone that can create a satisfactory util (preferrably using autohotkey so that it would be easy to modify).

and now for a quick explanation of what i'd like:

i've a very large monitor, a 24" widescreen LCD (this may or may not be seen as an attempt at compensating for other inadequacies).

i've always been irritated (even with smaller monitors) how i have to keep moving my cursor to the center of the screen to acknowledge small dialog boxes that appear throughout the course of my pc use.

what i would prefer, is that the small dialog window would move itself automatically to fall somewhere under where my cursor is at the time of clicking the button that caused the small dialog window to appear.

e.g. CURRENTLY, i click on a button at the far edges of the screen that requires some kind of confirmation, so a small dialog window appears in the center waiting to be clicked and acknowledged. okay, i move my mouse to the center and click BUT i'm going to move my cursor back to the original area where i first clicked the initiating button as that's where i'm 'working' with OTHER buttons and things.

INSTEAD, i would click on a button at the far edges of the screen and if a small dialog window appears in the center it would then automatically jump so that it positions itself under where the mouse is. the mouse is still hovering over the button that has just been clicked.

i know, i know. there are methods for the mouse to jump to the button that is in focus but i really can't stand that way of working. it still requires me moving my attention away from where my cursor originally was and then moving it back again. and, i don't want this to work with all windows so i wouldn't want the cursor jumping around all over the screen every time a new button comes into focus.

i've attempted to create my request using autohotkey but i don't have the programming skills to make it work correctly. i can make small windows jump to the cursor but they then become STUCK to the cursor position and move around with it...

the trick would be that the dialog window jumps to the the cursor position and then releases itself so that it doesn't continuously keep trying to center itself under the cursor. you can't click on any buttons, of course, if the dialog window keeps automatically moving around.

the other point to consider is that the automatically jumping window would have to remain fully on screen regardless of whether the cursor was at the very edges, i.e. if the cursor was close to the screen edge the window would have to position itself close to the cursor but not so close it goes off the edge.

i really only want this to work for the small dialog windows that appear, things like save/open/close/'confirm file delete' or anything else of this small size.

i'd like to be able to figure all this out with autohotkey as i'm sure it is possible but i believe it would be a very quick coding snack for those of you that already know how to script. it would take me several hours/days of messing around without any guarantee that i'm heading in the right direction.

thanks for your time...

brotherS:
i know, i know. there are methods for the mouse to jump to the button that is in focus but i really can't stand that way of working. it still requires me moving my attention away from where my cursor originally was and then moving it back again. and, i don't want this to work with all windows so i wouldn't want the cursor jumping around all over the screen every time a new button comes into focus.
-nudone (April 06, 2006, 05:17 AM)
--- End quote ---
Too bad...  :( I love that feature! :up:

Btw, 92.4% of all people do - if you just force them to use it for one week to give them a chance to get used to it :D

Good luck with your request, I'm sure someone will come up with a solution!

nudone:
the thing i don't like about the auto cursor jump method is that i often don't want to click the button that is in focus. so, i have to check to see where the cursor has jumped to and also spot the button i actually want to click AND then after that i move the cursor back to the area of the screen i was clicking around - i wouldn't call the 'cursor jump' method the most efficient and i'm sure there must be micro seconds lost where you have to become reorientated as to where the cursor has gone and what you are meant to be clicking on.

it may be microseconds to do all this moving around but it's a massive irritation to me.

i'll turn the auto move cursor thing on for a bit and see if i can get used to it.

brotherS:
the thing i don't like about the auto cursor jump method is that i often don't want to click the button that is in focus. so, i have to check to see where the cursor has jumped to and also spot the button i actually want to click AND then after that i move the cursor back to the area of the screen i was clicking around - i wouldn't call the 'cursor jump' method the most efficient and i'm sure there must be micro seconds lost where you have to become reorientated as to where the cursor has gone and what you are meant to be clicking on.
-nudone (April 06, 2006, 05:37 AM)
--- End quote ---
I can't share that feeling. You actually get a very good feeling over time about where it will place the cursor and it's actually faster, not slower. I actually had several people thanking me for making them use it long enough to 'see the light'.

it may be microseconds to do all this moving around but it's a massive irritation to me.

--- End quote ---
Yeah, it's an irritation for sure, but only in the first few days. Been there, done that... :)

i'll turn the auto move cursor thing on for a bit and see if i can get used to it.

--- End quote ---
Great! I found mostly those resisting change of any kind can't (or won't try long enough to) get used to it (you know, people still living without CDs, DVDs, Internet, ...), so there's a good chance you'll make it!
:)

May the force be with you :D

nudone:
well, i'm still trying the auto cursor jump thingy - but it doesn't work within photoshop. this is good as i didn't want my cursor jumping around to every button that had focus but it doesn't even work when the 'are you sure about saving' dialog pops up. this wouldn't happen if my little util came about, ahem, ahem.

early days yet so i'll persevere.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version