topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:11 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: IDEA: move small dialog windows to cursor position  (Read 162360 times)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: move small dialog windows to cursor position
« Reply #150 on: January 23, 2007, 04:13 PM »
i wondered if it was the 'don't move the window if it's already under the mouse' feature but it's not that.

i'm wondering if it's something to do with the list of name that i had in the 'move these windows' box. when there is only 'Save As' in the list of windows to move it appears to work okay. as soon as others are added to the list then it becomes a bit random.

i really haven't tested it enough yet to spot what's happening so when i say it works when there is only 'Save As' in the 'move this window' section then i could well be very wrong.

i shall try changing a few rules for size matching and see what happens.

(i'm about ready to fetch my big lump hammer out of the shed in a minute and smash the computer up into little pieces - it's being naughty again and i really have about lost my patience with it. i'm trying to think of what life i can live without ever having to turn a computer on again.)

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #151 on: April 13, 2009, 02:27 PM »
Is it possible to exclude the window that pops up when I press alt-tab (in Vista)? Hotkeys don't seem to be able to catch it.

Thanks,
Eric

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #152 on: April 13, 2009, 02:53 PM »
Is it possible to exclude the window that pops up when I press alt-tab (in Vista)? Hotkeys don't seem to be able to catch it.

Thanks,
Eric

i had the same problem. i don't think there is a solution other than using a different alt-tab program.

i'm using TaskSwitchXP http://www.ntwind.co...re/taskswitchxp.html so the standard alt-tab window nolonger appears. also, i think the standard vista alt-tab box is very annoying - it's very difficult to differentiate the icons and thumbnails.

if you do use TaskSwitchXP, you'll probably have to get the settings just right to make the most of it. if so, just ask and i'll go through the settings i'm using.

edit:
i probably should post my setting for dialogmove too. i don't think the default rules are quite right for the most enjoyable use.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 02:55 PM by nudone »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #153 on: April 13, 2009, 04:26 PM »
for those of us not in the know,
could you describe briefly - or link to a description of what this programme does? (& how it does it?)

JG has no home page for his apps but I know he's a busy man too... :)
Tom

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #154 on: April 13, 2009, 09:07 PM »
could you describe briefly - or link to a description of what this programme does? (& how it does it?)

you can check out the link in jgpaiva's sig, which leads to this page and also here's the about box which also might help explaining about this program.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #155 on: April 13, 2009, 10:57 PM »
Somewhat off-topic:

In the about box (above), there should not be a comma in the first sentence. Also, the word "customizable" is spelled "costumizable," the comma there should be a semicolon (";"), "informations" needs to drop the "s," the last "it's" should be "its," and there should be a "the" after "at" and before "donationcoder.com"

Fixed version:
Spoiler
This is a small script that moves small dialog windows to the mouse position as soon as they are created. It's highly customizable; for more information on how it works, please see its topic at the DonationCoder.com forums.

I'm picky about that kind of stuff, so I thought I'd point it out... :P

</offtopic>

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #156 on: April 13, 2009, 11:12 PM »
i believe jgpaiva is aware of the omissions and what-not but he seems mighty busy nowadays. it must be the finals at school.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #157 on: April 14, 2009, 02:36 AM »

JG has no home page for his apps but I know he's a busy man too... :)

i'll try and get a screencast done of this program as i think it's undervalued. honestly, one day all operating systems will use this same dialogmove method - unless they're using a small screen.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #158 on: April 14, 2009, 03:30 AM »
thanks - I guess the name says it all anyway - I'll try it out!
Tom

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #159 on: April 14, 2009, 07:20 AM »
i'll try and get a screencast done of this program as i think it's undervalued. honestly, one day all operating systems will use this same dialogmove method - unless they're using a small screen.

screencast is a great way to promote the program and create awareness of its usage.. :up:

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #160 on: April 14, 2009, 12:15 PM »
i've been looking at what would best demonstrate 'dialogmove' when recorded in a screencast - and now i'm wondering if i'm losing my mind.

i thought i'd turn dialogmove off and record how things are without it, which would then make a good comparison with a second recording with dialogmove enabled; a before and after type of thing. the problem is, i can only find one regular dialog window that gets moved by dialogmove - all the others i thought were being moved by the util are actually just moved by vista by default: things like save and open dialog windows.

there are occasions when vista doesn't move the dialog; which dialogmove must then be catching - otherwise i would have noticed this non moving behaviour sooner. when i say vista, i mean the programs i'm using really.

now that i've looked at what i'm doing it seems that there are very few dialog boxes in vista that are annoying enough to need regularly moving. so far i can only find the 'do you want to empy the recycle bin' dialog. vista just doesn't seem to throw up many small dialog boxes.

so, what i'm trying to say is, until i can find more dialogs that need moving i can't justify doing the screencast. i'm even doubting the use of dialogmove now. i can't understand it. there must have been lots more annoying little dialogs in xp - or maybe the save/open dialogs didn't behave as well as they do in vista. maybe it was just the programs i was using back then on xp.

i shall investigate and make a list of annoying dialog windows that popup in vista over the next few days.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 12:19 PM by nudone »

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #161 on: April 14, 2009, 12:32 PM »
I couldn't live without DialogMove (using XP SP3).

I started using DialogMove just before or just after I upgraded to SP2, and before that none of the dialogs moved.  The best I could do was use the XP setting to move the cursor to the dialog box, an inferior approach.

I didn't know Vista duplicates some of the functionality of DialogMove, but using XP I find DialogMove essential for convenience.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #162 on: April 14, 2009, 01:06 PM »
excellent. i'm glad it's not just me that appeciates the benefits of dialogmove.

as for vista. it's more a case of when using something like notepad the open/save dialog windows do try to open up close to where you want them, i.e. near the 'file' menu. it definitely doesn't do it correctly everytime - sometimes it just remembers the position of the dialog when it last appeared - which could be at the opposite side of the screen. meaing 'dialogmove' would have corrected it if it was enabled.

i'm compiling my list anyway. i've got four annoying dialog boxes on it so far. the quest continues.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #163 on: April 14, 2009, 05:58 PM »
well, it's certainly useful for xp
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #164 on: April 15, 2009, 07:15 AM »
a word of warning to anyone trying it out for the first time - it has hotkeys on by default -
so it steals the F8 through to F11 keys from all apps
Tom

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #165 on: April 15, 2009, 08:00 AM »
good point, tomos. i always switch the hotkeys to include the winkey.

maybe a few of us can list what we think is worth mentioning to newcomers of dialogmove and i'll try to include them in the screencast(s).

i currently have about nine annoying dialog windows in my list that pop up on my vista system, a few more and i'll make the screencast.

UAC in vista also seems to prevent dialogmove from saving changes made in the options panel - i have a work around for that (i believe without disabling UAC) so i'll include that in the screencast too.

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #166 on: April 15, 2009, 10:25 AM »
I disable the hotkeys and add the occasional dialog box manually.

Once or twice I've used the hotkeys when I knew I'd have a number dialog boxes to add.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #167 on: April 15, 2009, 03:48 PM »
more starting up stuff :)

how do I exclude a particular popup window or is that possible?
it's from Filehamster -
it popups a notification that it's making a revision and I dont want it going to where the mouse is

Would it be one of the shortcut options:
> MakeNotDetectable
> MakeNotDetectableTitle

thanks for any help ;)

Tom

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #168 on: April 15, 2009, 04:06 PM »
is that a suggestion for the screencast or are you stuck with that problem, tomos?

if you are stuck, then yes, you'd try one of the shortuts - though, i can't remember now if some windows just won't behave.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #169 on: April 16, 2009, 09:34 AM »
Well I enabled the shortcuts and clicked the one for
> MakeNotDetectableTitle
when the popup window was visible (& presumably had focus) and it's remained in it's corner since (good window!)

Re changing the shortcuts - it's difficult to know what works without doing a big experiment - I mean to say:-
I dont know how to type in e.g. Control key or Windows key - do you think should I use the Autohotkey shorthand for the different keys ?

thanks!
Tom

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #170 on: April 16, 2009, 10:02 AM »
Well I enabled the shortcuts and clicked the one for
> MakeNotDetectableTitle
when the popup window was visible (& presumably had focus) and it's remained in it's corner since (good window!)
that is the correct procedure. if that doesn't work - because the title isn't recognised you can then try just MakeNotDetectble (without title).

the shortcuts for the hotkeys are the same as autohotkey's so:

# is winkey
! is alt
+ is shift
^ is control

eg. you want to use the winkey plus F11 to initiate MakeNotDetecableTitle, so you put the following into the dialogmove options:

#F11

or if you prefer...

snap181.jpg

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #171 on: April 28, 2009, 03:29 AM »
i'm about ready to make the screencast. anyone want to add anything that they think i should mention.

i notice that the .exe version of dialogmove gets picked out as a virus (false positivie autohotkey again), but it looks like the script version isn't detected. has anyone had issues with this - i could recomment do use the script version in the screencast.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #172 on: April 28, 2009, 03:46 AM »
i'm about ready to make the screencast. anyone want to add anything that they think i should mention.
no actually  :)
I just wanted to say that I've been using it since (the script version), using AXEM to start it with windows along with a few other scripts - no problems, happy user :up:
Tom

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #173 on: April 28, 2009, 05:36 AM »
screencast postponed again. the dialogmove icon isn't appearing in my system tray when i run the .exe version - well, sometimes it appears and sometimes it doesn't (it isn't hidden).

maybe i'll just have to go back to using the script version.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #174 on: April 28, 2009, 06:01 AM »
is there a way of running AXEM silently?

it looks like i can run AXEM as admin (on vista) and then DialogMove will be able to work properly with UAC enabled.

(i can't run the script directly with admin privileges - only appears to work with .exe files.)