topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: IDEA: move small dialog windows to cursor position  (Read 162383 times)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: move small dialog windows to cursor position
« Reply #100 on: May 04, 2006, 05:23 PM »
Ok.. It looks like the bug is related to the damn arrows in the edit boxes. I'm going to lose those, and let's see what we get.

Please re-download:
.exe version
.ahk version

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2006, 09:06 PM »
It's working for me.  I tried to break it but couldn't.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2006, 01:27 PM »
well done, jgpaiva, that has certainly cured the 'okay' button click problem for me. thanks.

SexyLilDarkPaw

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #103 on: May 06, 2006, 05:31 PM »
Hey Nudone,

Alternative cure for you, not quite what you want but it does a good job. Teleport Cursor by Jason Hood XD auto jumps your cursor to the default button in that dialog only downside is if you click accidentally and the default isnt what you want :(, hopefully you get something that works perfectly for you

http://www.geocities.../telecurs/index.html

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2006, 06:50 PM »

... auto jumps your cursor to the default button in that dialog ...

-SexyLilDarkPaw (May 06, 2006, 05:31 PM)

There's a setting in the OS (XP) that does that.  What's slick about DialogMove is that the  dialog box jumps to the cursor, so after clicking a dialog box button, you don't have to move the cursor back to where it was originally.  Much handier than one might think.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2006, 03:35 AM »
Hey Nudone,

Alternative cure for you, not quite what you want but it does a good job. Teleport Cursor by Jason Hood XD auto jumps your cursor to the default button in that dialog only downside is if you click accidentally and the default isnt what you want :(, hopefully you get something that works perfectly for you

http://www.geocities.../telecurs/index.html
-SexyLilDarkPaw (May 06, 2006, 05:31 PM)

thanks for making the suggestion but that method is exactly what i don't like.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #106 on: May 15, 2006, 07:18 PM »
Ok... An incomplete update (see it like a beta ;) )
I just want your opinion on the direction i'm heading:

(only the .ahk version was updated)

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2006, 09:02 PM »
I just want your opinion on the direction i'm heading:

Looks good to me!  The extra set of Height and Width rules allow me to move all wide but short windows, so I don't have to add lines to the script.

I haven't been using Hotkeys or the buffer, so I can't comment on those. 

I think you might have your height and width labels reversed in the Options Dialog.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2006, 06:27 AM »
Ooops!  :-[ :-[
Yes, all the labels were wrong, the height was switched with the width ;)
It's fixed now.
I'll be completing this update soon, because nothing is centered, etc...

.ahk version

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #109 on: May 16, 2006, 08:05 AM »
I still think the first set of Width and Height rules are reversed, but the second is ok.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #110 on: May 16, 2006, 08:41 AM »
Right.. I did fix it, but didn't upload to the ftp. Sorry. It's there now.

.ahk version

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2006, 09:25 AM »
Right.. I did fix it, but didn't upload to the ftp.
.ahk version
Which I would have easily seen had I checked the handy version number...

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #112 on: May 16, 2006, 11:37 AM »
Which I would have easily seen had I checked the handy version number...
Oh... So THAT's what version numbers are for? eheh... Now i get the importance of it ;)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2006, 01:26 PM »
great work, jgpaiva.

just a quick question: in the shortcut keys config section, do i put...

#F9

instead of 'F9' if i want to use the 'windows' key and the 'F9' key at the same time.

single keys for shortcuts tend to get confused with other programs from my experience - and many double key shortcuts are already taken up (adobe, etc) except for 'windows' key combinations.

i suppose i ought to test what i'm asking in my question - i'll do it in a minute after i've clicked 'post'.

edit:

tested and working.

fantastic. feels like a 'real' program now.  :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 01:31 PM by nudone »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #114 on: July 09, 2006, 02:27 AM »
i know 'gridmove' is kind of more important at the moment but i'd just like to suggest a slight change for 'dialogmove' if you can, jgpaiva...

when the dialog window pops up and is moved to the cursor positions - currently the window is centered across height and width under the mosuer cursor (as expected).

could it be changed (with the option to turn the feature on and off by the user) so that the dialog window moves to a position so that the highlighted or 'in focus' button on the dialog box is directly under the mouse cursor - this is still with the exception of the dialog window moving off the edge of the screen.

i see the difficulty in this method as sometimes there doesn't appear to be an 'in focus' button on some dialog windows (maybe there is a button in focus but it just doesn't look like it is on my screen).

maybe it's a bad idea - depends on what problems it would lead to - but at the moment it's just something that kind of seems obvious to me that 'dialogmove' ought to do -perhaps i'm just becoming even more lazy so just moving the mouse cursor a few pixels now seems like a major effort.

other than that i have to say that 'dialogmove' has become a very natural part of my windows operating system. i'm still amazed when windows jump to my cursor - i still automatically start to move my cursor to the center of the screen in preparation to click on some dialog windows before they appear - but 'dialogmove' beats me to it which is great.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #115 on: July 09, 2006, 04:08 AM »
Actually, that makes more sense, it'd be exactly like the "cursor jump to dialog" but it's "dialog jump to cursor". I've been through ahk's functions, and this should be fairly easy to implement.  :Thmbsup:

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #116 on: July 09, 2006, 05:18 AM »
fantastic. i look forward to seeing the result.

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #117 on: July 20, 2006, 05:18 PM »
i look forward to seeing the result.

me too

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2006, 01:01 AM »
not wishing to rush you, jgpaiva, but here are a few more suggestions - one of which might seem like heresy.

i'd still very much like to see the dialog window move so that it came to rest with the highlighted button under the mouse cursor, but i think that some windows don't have a highlighted button - well, it looks like that to me - maybe they are 'in focus' but they just aren't 'highlighted'. anyway, if it's true that some dialog windows don't have a highlighted button could you make it so that dialogmove looks for the 'okay' or 'yes' or 'save' button instead.

and here's the heretical idea. how about if dialogmove worked exactly as it does now and then the mouse cursor jumped the final couple of inches to the highlighted button? i admit i've not really thought about this suggestion so it might just be a really annoying method to use.

as always, if you can make these features user selectable it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #119 on: August 26, 2006, 12:38 PM »
i feel bad about suggesting more but i thought this might be interesting - possibly pointless.

it's only a cosmetic thing anyway.

instead of the dialog window 'jumping' to the mouse cursor position, how about the dialog window was seen to move to the cursor position, i.e. there was a little bit of animation involved - say one or two steps that the window would travel along a path until it landed under the cursor.

i can imagine this looking quite nice if it was smooth enough but it would probably look horrible if it was too jerky.

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #120 on: August 26, 2006, 05:16 PM »
instead of the dialog window 'jumping' to the mouse cursor position, how about the dialog window was seen to move to the cursor position, i.e. there was a little bit of animation involved - say one or two steps that the window would travel along a path until it landed under the cursor.

i can imagine this looking quite nice if it was smooth enough but it would probably look horrible if it was too jerky.

Myself, I kinda like the instantaneous automagical appearance of the dialog box under my cursor.  Even months later an occasional "damn that's neat" still comes out.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #121 on: August 27, 2006, 12:57 AM »
i agree - as that is really the point of dialogmove.

i only thought about the animated move idea as i have one or two windows that appear in the center of the screen AND then jump to the cursor position. most of the time the dialog window appears directly under the cursor without first appearing in the center of the screen.

it's the very few times that the dialog window appears in the center first and then jumps that looks a bit odd - i just thought it might be a bit more pleasing on the eye if in these cases the dialog travelled across the screen instead of jumped.

it is a very small annoyance and i wouldn't expect jgpaiva to consider it seriously unless he was very bored and seeking a problem to solve. well, if jgpaiva thinks it's a bad idea anyway then i'd be happy to forget about it.

the previous suggestion of dialog jumping so that highlighted button rests under cursor is really what i'd like to see implemented.

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #122 on: August 27, 2006, 12:38 PM »
the previous suggestion of dialog jumping so that highlighted button rests under cursor is really what i'd like to see implemented.

That would be especially slick.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #123 on: August 30, 2006, 05:32 AM »
i agree - as that is really the point of dialogmove.

i only thought about the animated move idea as i have one or two windows that appear in the center of the screen AND then jump to the cursor position. most of the time the dialog window appears directly under the cursor without first appearing in the center of the screen.

it's the very few times that the dialog window appears in the center first and then jumps that looks a bit odd - i just thought it might be a bit more pleasing on the eye if in these cases the dialog travelled across the screen instead of jumped.

Unfortunatelly, there's no way to solve that :(
Dialogmove moves all windows as fast as it can, which means that somethimes the user doesn't see it coming up and other times it does. (but it comes up always in the center, only then it's moved). The script itself doesn't have any idea if the window appeared to the user or not, so i cannot make it behave differently in those cases.. Sorry

As for your other request, i'm right now working on it!

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #124 on: August 30, 2006, 06:13 AM »
excellent.