ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

owncloud - alternative to big brand backups

<< < (2/3) > >>

mahesh2k:
@Deozaan, I posted the link to the open source project that lets you setup owncloud on VPS/Dedicated server. From that site you can find the other service that offers free and paid plan for storage. I used free plan from owncube for hosting my wordpress backups.

@ATH, I think you're ignoring the facts that these big brands do have an alternative which are running even before the products from big-brands. You can browse the list of dropped google, MS and other big brand projects and compare them with startup projects which are doing fine on their own after the collapse of big-brand services. Take example of evernnote vs google bookmarks(which is next in the list for shutting down), MSN spaces vs wordpress and many more. So using big brands product is quite risky compared to using startup products.

Also agree with 4wd, it is quite slow for the web interface but there is desktop client to browse and upload the files. That worked for me on ubuntu.

Stoic Joker:
Ah, I missed that 'Got a server?' detail when scanning the page, thanks :up:
-Ath (May 11, 2012, 05:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Me too ... Actually I missed the whole damn thread yesterday somehow. This really is a rather interesting option.

4wd:
... it is quite slow for the web interface but there is desktop client to browse and upload the files. That worked for me on ubuntu.-mahesh2k (May 11, 2012, 05:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, I don't think the sync clients were there when I first tried it out - they make it a rather more interesting option.

Might have to look at it again.

Deozaan:
What's the difference between OwnCloud.com and OwnCloud.org?

4wd:
What's the difference between OwnCloud.com and OwnCloud.org?-Deozaan (May 11, 2012, 01:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think the front page answers that question ;)

Boston, MA – April 3, 2012 – ownCloud Inc., the commercial entity behind the popular open source enterprise file sync and share project, today launched commercial offerings based on Version 3 of the community edition, bringing business-class flexibility and security to the file sync and share market.
--- End quote ---

As a guess, being "based" on the Community Edition means it probably has more features than it, kind of like NexentaStor.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version