topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: In search of ... downgrade option for Win7 install.  (Read 3709 times)

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
In search of ... downgrade option for Win7 install.
« on: May 12, 2012, 11:09 PM »
I remember seeing this when Win7 first came out.  In fact, I used it once to help a friend.  But I lost it  :( >:(.

There's a way to install a lower version of Windows from an Ultimate CD.  Actually, the tip worked both ways.  Basic premise was to copy the CD files to a hard drive, modify one (1) particular file, then create an ISO on a new CD and run the install.  Of course, the proper key is required for the version you are installing.

My sailing friend headed out to see his SO this evening.  He took along my Ultimate CDs, 32-bit and 64-bit.  His lady's laptop locked up on her, and he couldn't cure it over the phone (she's somewhat less than technically patient  ;)).  He created a recovery disc when they bought her laptop, but may not be able to find it.  And those recovery discs don't always work as advertised - I've had two (2) that failed, and have heard of others.  So I loaned him the CDs I bought, with the understanding that he'd use the key on her laptop. 

But I think he'll need to do the correction thing in order for them to work.  I've mentioned before that my short-term memory - say five (5) to ten (10) years - ain't what it used to be, and it's failing me now in finding the aforementioned instruction  :mad:.

So the question is, does anyone have a link to that instruction, or perhaps know how to accomplish the kinda/sorta downgrade?

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: In search of ... downgrade option for Win7 install.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 11:50 PM »
As I understand it, the "downgrade" is an entitlement that Microsoft gives to people who have licensed Windows 7 - you just install the downgrade version of Windows that you want (you still need to have a key for that version) and you install it.  If it doesn't activate, you call Microsoft and they'll give the activation code over the phone because the downgrade option makes it legit. It appears that you can downgrade using an OEM key for the older OS too, which normally isn't permitted to be installed on a different machine (but I might be mistaken about that).

See:

- http://www.microsoft...owngrade_rights.aspx
  - http://www.microsoft...owngrade_rights.aspx

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 12:50 AM »
Have you ever been on the phone to MS  :-\ :'(?

This was a different route to accomplish the same thing you describe, but it was a matter of altering one (1) file to make all installations available.  Proper key needed, of course.  Note:  this is not an illegal process, it's just a way of making all versions available from the same CD.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 02:35 AM »
Sorry, I think I was a little confused about what you really wanted.   But, I think I found what you're looking for:

Convert Win7 Ultimate to Pro or Home Premium

Here’s the crux of the matter: If you put a DVD containing Win7 Ultimate in your PC and run the installer — either by booting from the disc or running the setup program from inside Windows — you end up with Win7 Ultimate. No surprises there.

However, if you first delete a tiny file named ei.cfg before making the installation DVD, the Win7 installer will give you the choices shown in Figure 1.

In fact, no matter which Win7 installation DVD you have — Ultimate, Pro, or Premium — if you delete the ei.cfg file from the disc, you’ll be offered the same choices and can install any version of Windows 7.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 03:29 AM »
Create an ISO of the W7 install DVD, (any retail version), use the ei.cfg Removal Utility on it, then write the ISO back to a DVD.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 10:27 AM »
Thankee, both  :up:.

That's the little monster I was trying to remember  :Thmbsup:.  Now I'll be ready when he calls  :P.