ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

how to increase PC performance, in terms of software?

<< < (2/2)

MilesAhead:
thanks for all the input

would CPU voltage downgrading increase performance?
-kalos (May 09, 2012, 03:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not a system builder. You should find some hanging around this forum:
http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/

Shades:
If it is better performance you want, disable services you don't need. This trick does work as long as you know what you are doing and can live with the consequences of disabling those services.

Most people don't, so the above advice is not likely not the best in your case. Under-volting is (to my knowledge) not the way to go for increasing performance in software.

In general though, if you want more performance from software...buy better (or more) hardware, beginning with RAM.

MilesAhead:
Depending on the flavor of Windows, there may be things going on that you don't care about that Microsoft does. Stuff like performance statistics gathering, crash report data, lots of little hidden tasks in task scheduler you would never ask be put there. :)

If you play around with disabling services you may find it handy to produce a hard copy of the services and their current state first. I found LookInMyPC does this very well. Last time I used LIMPC it insisted the html report have a frame so you could click on their site or something. It's a simple matter to remove a couple of lines from the html source to remove the div,frame or whatever it was they used. This leaves a nice table fit for printing with the name of each service, current state, startup type etc..

If your PC starts acting weird because you are playing with services a hard copy in the drawer might be a good idea.

tomos:
One thing I've done on this and last machine:
Two drives (at least), one for the OS, one for data.

First (OS) drive of 1 or 2TB has two partitions:
      Partition 1. OS - say 100GB for Win.7
      Partition 2. remaining space - I use this *only* for backup from Drive #2 - i.e. it is rarely used.

Advantages being that, with this setup, Drive #1 is normally only used by the OS. Also, the first (relatively small) partition on a large drive is supposed to be very fast. I'm certainly happy with it (but also happy with 8GB memory & i5[whatever] CPU *and* the remaining space on Drive #1 for backup)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version