ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Skype replaces P2P supernodes with Linux boxes hosted by Microsoft

(1/2) > >>

J-Mac:
Finally! Now you shouldn’t have to worry about hacking your Skype installation to avoid having Skype designate your box as a "supernode". (Like me!) Oops - well not exactly, but calls will no longer be routed through Supernodes; instead supernodes will be used only to allow users to find other Skype users. As stated by Mark Gillett, CVP, Skype Product Engineering & Operations:

As part of our ongoing commitment to continually improve the Skype user experience, we developed supernodes which can be located on dedicated servers within secure datacentres. This has not changed the underlying nature of Skype’s peer-to-peer (P2P) architecture, in which supernodes simply allow users to find one another (calls do not pass through supernodes). We believe this approach has immediate performance, scalability and availability benefits for the hundreds of millions of users that make up the Skype community.
--- End quote ---

http://arstechnica.com//business/news/2012/05/skype-replaces-p2p-supernodes-with-linux-boxes-hosted-by-microsoft.ars

Microsoft - which acquired Skype last May - apparently made the change about a month ago when the number of users logged onto Skype hit 41 million, which is about 37% above average.  :o

Anyway this is good news IMO.   :)

Jim

Renegade:
 :o

This kind of seems like the KKK setting up a hotel for the Black Panthers...  :huh:

TaoPhoenix:

This kind of seems like the KKK setting up a hotel for the Black Panthers...  :huh:
-Renegade (May 08, 2012, 10:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

I was thinking of auto workers driving something other than their brand.

J-Mac:
Well, it's fine with me as my high speed connection always made my box a target to become a supernode. I would change the registry and all the other published tricks to avoid it and of course Skype would find another way to punch a hole in UDP or whatever and christen me a supernode again. I used Gizmo - which always used their own servers - till they were bought bu Google a few years ago. Google sat on it for two years, reducing features continually, and then killed it for good late last year. (They do that a LOT).

So I'm fine with Microsoft/Skype - for now.

Jim

Renegade:

-Renegade (May 08, 2012, 10:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

I was thinking of auto workers driving something other than their brand.
-TaoPhoenix (May 08, 2012, 01:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

MS seems to be more akin to the KKK than GM or Ford though. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version