ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Clipboard Help+Spell

CHS feature request: smart copy/paste of hyperlinks

(1/2) > >>

IainB:
If I copy a hyperlinked piece of text from (say) OneNote or Firefox, and then paste it into (say) another page in OneNote or a MS Word document, then the paste results in the correct hyperlinked piece of text being pasted.
It's a two-step operation.

However, if I paste it into some other application that is not "hyperlink aware" (e.g., a .txt file editor), then the paste results in the text only being pasted, without the hyperlink.
This can be really tedious if you are copying and later pasting several links. It means you may have to:

* copy the text and then
* copy the link, and then
* paste the text and then
* paste the link - each separately.
It's a four-step operation.

What could be really useful is a "smart copy/paste" feature in CHS, that, whenever it comes across one or more hyperlinks embedded in a piece of captured text, it saves it/them in the database as plaintext strings in the form:
   text of link to news - http://news.daily.com/ (but without the underline)

Then, either before or as you paste it out from a CHS record, you can preselect whether hyperlinks are to be pasted as one of the 6 forms below:

The first one could be the default (say).

Hope this makes sense.

rjbull:
There are Firefox extensions that can copy both text and link, e.g. "Re: CHS feature request: smart copy/paste of hyperlinks - https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=30908.0"  That's not really what you wanted, but it's helpful if you habitually use plain text rather than fancy formatting.

Oops...   :-[  looks like you already know about that one.  See screenshot.

rjbull:
Thornsoft's ClipMate has a template feature, whereby you can change the format of the clipped material on pasting.  The author warned me not to put too much reliance on it, but it can be quite useful.  For example, here's an area of the CHS page clipped:

CHS feature request: smart copy/paste of hyperlinks

Here's the template:
#TITLE#

#URL#

Web site visited #DATE#, #TIME#

#CLIP#
and how the same clipped material looks when pasted via the template:
Clipboard Help+Spell is a text-based clipboard utility with

https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/clipboardhelpandspell/index.html

Web site visited 06/05/2012, 20:42:03

Clipboard Help+Spell is a text-based clipboard utility with the following features:

* Database stores history of all past text clipboard entries for easy viewing, modification, and search
    * Use it for keeping hierarchical notes - search, sort, filter by text, modification date, last view date
    * Super easy and super fast search function - or use complex filters if you need them - you'll never have a problem finding a note again!
    * Organize your notes and clips any way you want - show them all or view by group or category; view your clips any way you like
    * High-quality spellcheck - underlined mistakes; learning spellchecker
    * Configurable hotkeys for common functions
    * Powerful text formatting options - make your own presets for common functions
    * Simple functions for copying and pasting into and out of other applications

If you like Clipboard Help+Spell, check out Find+Run Robot and Screenshot Captor
In other words, ClipMate knows something about the page title and URL of a section clipped from a Web page, and can rearrange them for you.  CHS must also understand them because of the way you can choose columns.  I seem to remember requesting something similar to ClipMate's template system for CHS.  That might go some way to giving you your URL functions.
Hmmm...  methinks I'm adding irrelevant responses today.  Time to rest the little grey cells...

IainB:
There are Firefox extensions that can copy both text and link...
...Oops...   :-[  looks like you already know about that one.  See screenshot.
-rjbull (May 06, 2012, 11:40 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, there seem to be a few add-ons around that do something of what I am requesting in this regard, but nothing that does all of it. I think you might have one such in your FF (per image), because I don't get that in my FF. Another is, I think, CoLT that was in @Curt's post of his Waterfox add-ons, here:
« Reply #446 on: 2012-03-22, 09:52:05 »

I don't want the feature as a transient record just in Firefox or just in any other application though - I want it as a defined data record in the clipboard manager (CHS), so that all the relevant hyperlink data is saved in the CHS database and can be recalled later.

This would be feasible, because, if you have just done a Copy of something with a hyperlink in it, then that hyperlink data is in the current clipboard's current store. You can prove that by pasting, and you can inspect it in that store with (say) something like Nirsoft's InsideClipboard.

As you say:
Thornsoft's ClipMate has a template feature, whereby you can change the format of the clipped material on pasting.  The author warned me not to put too much reliance on it, but it can be quite useful...
...In other words, ClipMate knows something about the page title and URL of a section clipped from a Web page, and can rearrange them for you.  CHS must also understand them because of the way you can choose columns.  I seem to remember requesting something similar to ClipMate's template system for CHS.  That might go some way to giving you your URL functions.
-rjbull (May 06, 2012, 02:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
I seem to recall that ClipMate (when I last played with it) did something like that and that it seemed a little kludgy. In any event, it is not what I am requesting here. It's another tool anyway, you see, and having it does not get the feature/functionality into CHS, which is my de facto main single most useful tool-of-choice for all things related to copy/paste data and clipboard information management.
CHS is already a brilliant clipboard information manager, and if it could do what I am requesting, then it would become even more useful to me.

[RANT]
I didn't produce that user-editable Google docs spreadsheet User Requirements for CHS just for fun - it took me quite a bit of work to pull together (being pretty ignorant about CHS when I started it), and still needs more work to become comprehensive, accurate and updated. It could provide a useful picture of the status of CHS at any given time you wanted to know it, and it could give a compressed summary of the prioritised requests users had for changes to CHS, which might be of assistance to @mouser - if the thing were maintained/updated for him by users.

It would not be correct to call it an easy, accurate or efficient process to understand CHS' development status by trawling through the DC forum to discover what features have been requested, moaned about, or put in to CHS.
[/RANT]
(I could put that spreadsheet into EditGrid - e.g., like this List of Outliners, if people preferred.)

rjbull:
Yes, there seem to be a few add-ons around that do something of what I am requesting in this regard, but nothing that does all of it. I think you might have one such in your FF (per image), because I don't get that in my FF. Another is, I think, CoLT that was in @Curt's post of his Waterfox add-ons, here:
« Reply #446 on: 2012-03-22, 09:52:05 » -IainB (May 06, 2012, 06:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, the one I'm referring to is indeed CoLT, which claims to be fully customisable, though I've only tried the basic options.  I have several similar things installed as well.   If you forget exactly which FF extension does what, it's actually rather hard to work it out afterwards from FF itself.

I don't want the feature as a transient record just in Firefox or just in any other application though - I want it as a defined data record in the clipboard manager (CHS), so that all the relevant hyperlink data is saved in the CHS database and can be recalled later.-IainB (May 06, 2012, 06:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
EverNote and practically all the other notekeeper/outliner/PIMs I've see do it.  So yes, the information is clearly there.

I seem to recall that ClipMate (when I last played with it) did something like that and that it seemed a little kludgy. In any event, it is not what I am requesting here. -IainB (May 06, 2012, 06:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well, I did belatedly add "methinks I'm adding irrelevant responses today" ...

[RANT]
I didn't produce that user-editable Google docs spreadsheet User Requirements for CHS just for fun-IainB (May 06, 2012, 06:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
But it's only useful if mouser commits to it, and he's got a myriad commitments already.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version