ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Skype replaces P2P supernodes with Linux boxes hosted by Microsoft

<< < (2/2)

SeraphimLabs:
I wondered why Skype went from running so horribly to suddenly running halfway decently again.

Talk about unexpected though. I would have expected Microsoft to simply port the dedicated supernode software to run on Windows and then deploy Windows servers for the purpose.

Edvard:
Well, that was a bit of a surprise...  :o

Talk about unexpected though. I would have expected Microsoft to simply port the dedicated supernode software to run on Windows and then deploy Windows servers for the purpose.
-SeraphimLabs (May 08, 2012, 11:45 PM)
--- End quote ---
You'd think, but then again, maybe the software functioned so well already they decided to not put in the dev time for porting, and instead tweak what was already built.
To go with the car analogy, why build a [car brand A] when you've got a perfectly good [car brand B] in the garage?

Meanwhile, the Linux version of the Skype client is at 2.2 beta.
Windows version: 5.9
Mac version: 5.7

Admittedly, this was going on before Microsoft bought them, and I keep hoping Ballmer lives up to his promises.... not holding my breath.

Gwen7:
this may have something to do with it.

A new Microsoft patent points towards Skype becoming equipped for lawful interception, which could be important as the service grows up to challenge traditional telcos.

The patent was filed back in 2009, but published* last week and picked up by Computerworld. Titled "Legal Intercept", it covers one way in which a VoIP-based communications system might enable a call to be intercepted and covertly recorded, naming Skype as one of the services to which it could be applied.
--- End quote ---

link: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06/29/microsoft_skype/

this way microsoft can put a backdoor in skype without acknowledging there may be one in windows too. now microsoft can cooperate with government snoops without admitting they have somehow compromised their own operating system's security. and they can blame linux if it ever blows up or gets hacked.

win-win :-(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version