ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Splinter

<< < (7/29) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Sure, progress is happening here.

I meant that once someone codes (a splinterface) it would be neat if that were efficiently exportable as editable code, so that if you for example didn't like all the positions you could maybe in a text editor / other edit them all to be 20 pixels to the left. (Vista/7 Widgets, I'm looking at you taking up the right hand 40 pixels of a screen.)

But even more, my chess idea is a broader theme of converters and plugins that can read a systematic *style* of information and then automatically create a splinterface by *rules* rather than for example hand-coding one chess game. That's just from my amateur chess background, I'm sure the concept applies elsewhere. So to over-elaborate, once you have the basic structural "splinter-game-viewer", you just click "load" and then internal logic (plugin?) can then play any chess game on the planet.

dmd7978:
Sure, progress is happening here.

I meant that once someone codes (a splinterface) it would be neat if that were efficiently exportable as editable code, so that if you for example didn't like all the positions you could maybe in a text editor / other edit them all to be 20 pixels to the left. (Vista/7 Widgets, I'm looking at you taking up the right hand 40 pixels of a screen.)

But even more, my chess idea is a broader theme of converters and plugins that can read a systematic *style* of information and then automatically create a splinterface by *rules* rather than for example hand-coding one chess game. That's just from my amateur chess background, I'm sure the concept applies elsewhere. So to over-elaborate, once you have the basic structural "splinter-game-viewer", you just click "load" and then internal logic (plugin?) can then play any chess game on the planet.
-TaoPhoenix (May 05, 2012, 07:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, that is how the "first" "Splinter" was. It will be that way again. The "20 pixels to the left" thing came in very handy. It should definately always have a text accompaniment.

And the rest of it I agree with, too. I plan to create an SDK this year.

TaoPhoenix:
Another new approach I was mulling over was as light steganography for ... uh ... "NSFW" items! What if you had an otherwise boring looking desktop with nice 85 items on it, but clicking a blanked out area in the corner unlocked the "spicy folder!" (Breasts be here!)  :D  

Related versions include on a wallpaper, like a sort of Indiana Jones thing, if you had to click *multiple* places for the Spicy folder to open, no ordinary computer user will EVER figure that out, because nowhere else in all of Windows/? do you need to click *multiple places in a specific order* to authorize opening a folder.

tomos:
As usual with any new software I'm afraid I'm getting bogged down with the GUI/instructions. Very minor things really, but enough to bog me down all the same.

# First of all, I got an error on starting (this is the second time I started it - could have messed it up somehow last time) - but it seems to be running ok now anyway.
---------------------------
The file "C:\Portable\Splinter\Tutorial_and_Download_Links.txt" is either damaged or is of a wrong format

Exception "The input stream is not a valid binary format. The starting contents (in bytes) are: 2D-2D-2D-2D-2D-2D-2D-2D-2D-2D-2D-2D-2D-2D-2D-2D-2D ..."
OK  
as you can see it's portable version, Win7 64bit.

I followed instructions (http://spli-stuff.blogspot.de/p/dock-tutorial.html) as far as Step #2 (on image #7).
The configuration dialogue opens without "Splicon Enabled" selected - that was easy to figure out ;-)
You say to select the dock image - do you mean any image of our choice or a specific dock image (as shown in your screenshots?) I think you mean a specific one but cannot find it in the Splinter folder.
Stuck . . .

BTW I notice when I'm selecting text-words in FF using Ctrl+Shift+ArrowKey the "Triggers" flash.

That's my half hour used up, will try again later or tomorrow :)

dmd7978:
Another new approach I was mulling over was as light steganography for ... uh ... "NSFW" items! What if you had an otherwise boring looking desktop with nice 85 items on it, but clicking a blanked out area in the corner unlocked the "spicy folder!" (Breasts be here!)  :D  

Related versions include on a wallpaper, like a sort of Indiana Jones thing, if you had to click *multiple* places for the Spicy folder to open, no ordinary computer user will EVER figure that out, because nowhere else in all of Windows/? do you need to click *multiple places in a specific order* to authorize opening a folder.
-TaoPhoenix (May 05, 2012, 07:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

You are thinking EXACTLY the way you should be, about Splinter and the, overall, environment, now. Triggers can have their opacity set to 1%, leaving nothing to see, but still the 1 allows for it to be clicked. This stuff you mention is already implemented in various splinterfaces. There are two hidden object games within Arkham. And I made a Sith Edition 2 that had a location on several random pages that had to be clicked in order to see "the prize" at the end of the "quest". (to start there were 6 splicons of a "square" of the wallpaper. Under those splicons  was a trigger of an apng holocube. Each time the right location was clicked, one of the splicons would close. Do all, and you see the holocube trigger.

Really impressive the way you are thinking, I have not heard ANYONE, yet, begin to see it this way. Kudos

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version