ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Splinter

<< < (4/29) > >>

dmd7978:
New problem: Failure of Utility-Imagination.
I'm a utilitarian at heart. So I'm stuck trying to decide what this does for me (besides fun eye candy!) this does for me better than the usual windows icons on a desktop. I tend to work on a flat black background, so I don't use wallpaper flippers.

Edit: But then I'm a boring old pest not worthy of your vision. :/
-TaoPhoenix (May 04, 2012, 06:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

HA, no problem. To tell truth, I used to be flat black background guy as well. The idea is that Splinter allows the desktop background/"page"/wallpaper and the desktop icons/splicons to be "one in the same".

It all depends on how you want it to look. If you want it to be "just" a wallpaper that can be clicked, splicons give the ability to seamlessly integrate into any background. Without knowing Splinter was running, you wouldnt be able to tell a splicon apart from the rest of the wallpaper. As an image is an image, anyone can begin to associate any app or file with ANY image, doesn't have to be what "they" make it to be. You don't read "internet explorer" below the IE icon to know what you are clicking, just know the image represents IE.

If you wish to have artistic background with "icon-y" looking icons, it allows for them to integrate perfectly, by allowing you to "fit" the icons, into the scene, like for example, standard looking icons placed and positioned "within" the display case of the bat cave.

If you want it to be a "high tech gui" looking thing with docks and stacks and such, it allows you to create it EXACTLY how you want it to look, it isn't hampered by the template of standard docks, as they are all pre-made, for the most part only allowing for slight adjustments of their look.

If you want to have it look JUST like the current desktop, only have the added option to hot link multiple file or app openings at once, it is as easy as a right click and the linking of them. Triggers can be any image, too. So they can be standard looking icons. Which allow to be dragged without restriction, can hot link multiple files, and have bonus benefit of opening up splicons, if you choose.

Splinter's ONLY purpose, is to give the end user access to information links(apps/media/files/folders/webpages/etc) that would previously not be available within a seamless looking, fully customized background/desktop environment. Splinter is, at its core, just a hot-linker that makes your "wallpaper" hot-linkable, by having blended splicons. This means that you can have information links to multiple locations without having them "clutter" up the destkop, if you wish.

TaoPhoenix:
Hmm. Thank you for the nice response!

I currently have 85 items on my desktop. They're laid out in thematic semi-conceptual groupings spaced visually across the desktop in mixes of rows and columns, with several strays.

Some 60 of those are folders. So if those folders are already "1-click" I'm still lost what Spinter does for me - I would need to spend a lot of work encoding all those items and I'm not even sure what background would make sense except MAYBE the Tron Legacy ones.

But Lemme say this, a few threads back, I bewailed "what hath become of innovation", I'll give you the chops for innovating. My (semi) deal is this: Lemme think, on something you can implement with less than 15,000 hours of effort, that feel useful to me.

/Quick Ruthlessly Ugly App/Feature: Just Click randomly on your desktop and start typing a memo, your choice of font size and color, but not "encased" in anything, with ability to maybe Hide/Show and move it around so when you move your folders around you move your text memos. Edit: Double Click to Hide - Show.When it "Hides" it becomes one of those little Splotchy things.

NSFW: (Am I the only one that moves my icons to accomodate a nice busty babe as wallpaper!?  8)    )

dmd7978:

This is the spli-script that runs it. (The first "command is actually the Tron logo splicon opening which does not need to be in the script, as it is the trigger's own splicon. That is why the delay is the first script command). The way I see it, if something like this is this easy to make happen, why not have the ability to do so.

TaoPhoenix:
Naw Awesome effort guy, really it is, that doesn't still do anything for me... I'm sayin, I'm thinkin' ... What do you think of Text Typing Items that collapse into those little purple spiders?

dmd7978:
Hmm. Thank you for the nice response!

/Quick Ruthlessly Ugly App/Feature: Just Click randomly on your desktop and start typing a memo, your choice of font size and color, but not "encased" in anything, with ability to maybe Hide/Show and move it around so when you move your folders around you move your text memos. Edit: Double Click to Hide - Show.When it "Hides" it becomes one of those little Splotchy things.

NSFW: (Am I the only one that moves my icons to accomodate a nice busty babe as wallpaper!?  8)    )
-TaoPhoenix (May 04, 2012, 07:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, it COULD be, that Splinter would not be for you. I mean, if you are actually happy with 85 icons, 60 of them folders on the desktop, always looking the same and being completely "separate" and un-integratable into any and all wallpap----wait, that is it. It is the black background. I TOTALLY know what you mean, as I said, I used to be that way. First 15 years of my desktop experience, black background. I just see it differently now. (But I find it hard to believe that you 100% WANT EXACTLY 85 icons on screen at all times. Wouldnt you prefer, to have either more, or less? If less, then some current ones could be hidden as splicons and then opened when you wished. If you wished to have 150 links available, then could have those new ones hidden the same way. ) - Perhaps not, as other apps can perform that particular function, and so it surely wouldn't be for you, I think. I don't pretend it will. But I believe that Splinter would improve your desktop if it were judged by random end users, and so, that is probably what counts, for me. I will keep trying to make it work for everyone, though, that is the whole idea.

But, also, the desktop environment doesnt have to JUST be utilitarian. Interactive stories, wiki databases, spli-sites, etc, can all be created with it.There is no other way, on Earth, to experience something like a media driven splinterface. It is the interactivity and hot linking to web info that makes these things unique and FUN to experience.

The desktop environment, with Splinter, is the most diverse and capable medium there is. More so than film, more so than video games, more so than the internet. Because it blends all of these together. It is capable of bringing them all to YOU, into your realm. Instead of having to immerse into the game or film "world" and having to go OUT to get access links to data over the net. It is all placed into your environment and things play off your customized desktop.

Anything Can Be Anything, within your UDE, is as simple a way to say it as there is.

Now, about this.----

I am sorry, I do not have any idea if this is a question or statement or if it is translated incorrectly, lol. I am sure it is funny though, judging by the sentence following it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version