topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:55 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Splinter  (Read 87904 times)

dmd7978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Spli-Stuff Blog
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Splinter
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2012, 04:16 PM »
So, this is quite a long video (13minutes). But if you want to know a good deal about Splinter, this is the single most informative "anything" that i have created, to date. This vid lacks "standard" looking utilitarian icons, but that does not mean that Arkham Edition is not just as utilitarian as Addition and Icon-ic Editions.

dmd7978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Spli-Stuff Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2012, 03:46 PM »
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 03:10 AM by dmd7978 »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2012, 03:58 PM »

Here's my new question:

With the advent of the touch screens, would Splinter start to almost turn the desktop into a giant iPad? I mean, if there's all these touch points, you just make them 99% transparent, then it's almost like using an iOS app right?

Heh - and I'm seeing fun uses for Star Trek Theme packs! : )

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2012, 04:16 PM »
Heh So I put your neato creation away for a while, but you did inspire me to mash a bunch of things into a couple of folders, so that I only have 60 items on my desktop now!  :D

dmd7978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Spli-Stuff Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2012, 05:49 PM »
Here's my new question:

With the advent of the touch screens, would Splinter start to almost turn the desktop into a giant iPad? I mean, if there's all these touch points, you just make them 99% transparent, then it's almost like using an iOS app right?

Heh - and I'm seeing fun uses for Star Trek Theme packs! : )

Yes, absolutely correct. I had envisioned touchscreen from the beginning. Truth is, i envisioned OLED walls, in a home. Walking down the hall and touching various points along the way. Click something at the beginning, something based on that would appear in the middle, with options. Then, click one of those, something down at the end, for your final decision(basic explanation, much more in depth. But I designed Splinter based on my vision of the future of technology, not necessarily for today's current sit)

dmd7978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Spli-Stuff Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2012, 05:54 PM »
Heh So I put your neato creation away for a while, but you did inspire me to mash a bunch of things into a couple of folders, so that I only have 60 items on my desktop now!  :D

That is great. Splinter will only improve it, more, if you let it. It NEVER changes anything, unless you want it to. Since it is only a hotlinker, at core, it doesn't have the "ability" to get in the way. Hotlinking , alone, allows for the creation of interactive games, stories, educational interfaces, info portals, spli-sites, and, of course, icon "docks". Every interactive ANYTHING, if you think about it, is just a hot link. Click this, something happens. Splinter is that taken to its most basic level, which is why "anyone" can create with it.

The only way to create something similar to a splinterface is with another programming language. The thing is, not only would you have to be a coder to do so, but you would be limited to THAT "splinterface" creation as the output. Imagery is the only way to allow every end user to create complex software outputs without the need for complex algorithms based on code input.

dmd7978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Spli-Stuff Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2012, 12:05 AM »
bla bla, sometimes life gets in the way
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 03:39 AM by dmd7978 »

dmd7978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Spli-Stuff Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2012, 07:24 PM »
I am going to create documentation based on Mouser's FARR documentation, as it was recommended by oblivion. If anyone else has any tips on docs or other docs I should look at, based on Splinter's app type, I would appreciate the advice. Thanks

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2012, 03:59 AM »
I am going to create documentation based on Mouser's FARR documentation, as it was recommended by oblivion.
:) That's not quite what I suggested, for any concerned mousers. What I said was: you have no documentation, you need some, here's an example of good practice in the field, doing something along those lines might be a good idea!
-- bests, Tim

...this space unintentionally left blank.

dmd7978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Spli-Stuff Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2012, 04:29 AM »
I am going to create documentation based on Mouser's FARR documentation, as it was recommended by oblivion.
:) That's not quite what I suggested, for any concerned mousers. What I said was: you have no documentation, you need some, here's an example of good practice in the field, doing something along those lines might be a good idea!

Yes, what he said. I am just checking out the level of detail and such.

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2012, 04:47 AM »
I do not understand a thing about this app, what does it do?

thanks

dmd7978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Spli-Stuff Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2012, 05:51 AM »
I do not understand a thing about this app, what does it do?

thanks

At its core, it is a file launcher, icon dock, stack docklet, wallpaper flipper and a visual style editor, all rolled into one. Splinter further enhances their functionalities by combining them within each other.

There are three main branches of Splinter. Triggers, splicons, and pages.

It uses "base" icons called triggers
and are like borderless dock icons similar to Magic Formation. However, triggers have the ability to, have any file folder or app hotlinked to them, open any png file as a hotlinkable splicon, and run internal scripts that can link hundreds of splicon and trigger abilities together with pages(standard Windows wallpapers), accessing them at a specific pace in a set order, called splicon sequences. They can appear as any image, including APNGs, and are called triggers because they initiate splicons.

Splicons are static png files that are 'splanimated' when its parent trigger is activated. they open from a fixed location and size and end at another location and size. Notice how similar their, overall, 'animation' abilities are to the way icon stacks open. It is because the first splicons were just icon stacks with character images instead of folder icons. These splicons can be hotlinked to any file or folder or app or web page and are at the bottom z-order, so that they appear as your wallpaper, all other windows appearing above them. They are dynamic, real-time, and forever editable still imagery in motion. They occur in quick bursts as they are 100% designed to be icons, not animation. They stop and assume a position of a perfectly blended in hidden hot link "within" your wallpaper, as you cannot tell the splicons from the background.

Pages are standard Windows wallpapers that are able to be named and, therefore, linked within splicon sequences with the "goto" command. Using them within splicon sequences allows you to create interactive stories, with the scenery changing by simply flipping to a new page(standard wallpaper)

By linking these three branches with each other, in various ways, it gains many new abilities that are unique to Splinter.

It allows you to create and share any type of icon dock. As well as any type of stack docklet, from scratch. Splinter's docks are not bound by any boundaries or templates, as is the case with many docks.

It is a visual programming "language" that is simple to create with and use, as most of the creation is done by dragging images around the screen and setting them in starting(closed) and ending(opened) positions

It links (spl)icons with wallpapers for seamless environment integration. It allows for the placement of numerous "hidden" and/or relevant file or web links. Essentially allowing for the wallpaper to appear hot linked.

It allows you to create very dynamic and interactive desktop interfaces that ara fundamentally utilitarian in functionality, but can be as artistic as the splinterface creator or end user desire.

It allows for more possible permutations of different ways your desktop can look and function, than anything else. A google times a google times 1 trillion possible permutations of desktop looks, just with one splinterface, alone.

It allows for the averange end user to create complex software outputs called splinterfaces, which are dynamic imagery driven desktop interfaces
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 05:58 AM by dmd7978 »

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2012, 08:15 AM »
okay, so this is truly cosmetic, with no functionality at all, if I understood well
the "next generation desktop interface" was misleading in my case, since I am constantly looking for an innovative "functional interface"

dmd7978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Spli-Stuff Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2012, 08:40 AM »
okay, so this is truly cosmetic, with no functionality at all, if I understood well
the "next generation desktop interface" was misleading in my case, since I am constantly looking for an innovative "functional interface"

Hi, no disrespect. But you did not, at all, understand it. My fault. Splinter is NOTHING but utilitarian. It is the utilitarian functionality that ALLOWS for all the other cool stuff to happen.

That is the "magic"

I am more than happy to prove it, in any way you desire. Just tell me what you want to see, I will provide it. Trying to get documentation done, just having a bit of trouble being concise.

Also, it is the dictionary definition of a visual programming language , as well as a "desktop app". Can't get much more "functional" than that. The "easiest" software creation platform, on Earth, and the only one that 'average" end users can create with.

Perhaps if I knew what you "saw" so far, i can point to better information. I am just saying that if you tell me exactly what functionalities you want, Splinter can make happen in AT LEAST one way, possibly more. Whatever the functionality is.

I just have to be told

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 08:57 AM by dmd7978 »

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2012, 08:45 AM »
Just tell me what you want to see, I will provide it.

Sure ...?  :P

dmd7978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Spli-Stuff Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: May 28, 2012, 08:48 AM »

Sure ...?  :P

Sure

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #91 on: May 28, 2012, 08:56 AM »

Sure ...?  :P

Sure

PS - it was a joke ... After all, according to your post the possibilities are endless (of what I want to see).

dmd7978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Spli-Stuff Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #92 on: May 28, 2012, 09:00 AM »

Sure ...?  :P

Sure

PS - it was a joke ... After all, according to your post the possibilities are endless (of what I want to see).

Right. I should have said one request per person, good call.  Woulda been nice, though, if that "sure?" was followed by a "okay, well then do this"........

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #93 on: May 28, 2012, 12:43 PM »
give me an example please

dmd7978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Spli-Stuff Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #94 on: May 28, 2012, 08:30 PM »
give me an example please

Hi. Examples of what?

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2012, 02:15 AM »
okay, if I understood well, Splinter can do anything in regards to user-GUI interaction

can I close windows by clicking their taskbar buttons with right click and open the relevant context menu (which normally pops up when right clicking on taskbar buttons) by holding control and right click?

dmd7978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Spli-Stuff Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2012, 02:43 AM »
okay, if I understood well, Splinter can do anything in regards to user-GUI interaction

can I close windows by clicking their taskbar buttons with right click and open the relevant context menu (which normally pops up when right clicking on taskbar buttons) by holding control and right click?

Hi. Splinter does not interfere with the Windows shell, at all So it does not have anything to do with the function you ask about. It, more or less, acts as a front end for Explorer (and the net). It "only" hot links files, folders, apps, etc to triggers and splicons and then links triggers and splicons to each other and pages. (wallpapers)

dmd7978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Spli-Stuff Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2012, 06:29 PM »
C'mon Tao. Make me sweat. Throw down the gauntlet. Challenge me, as before. Truth is, as I just said to Oblivion, I had never thought to use Splinter in exactly the same way you used it. That was the best part about it.

Shoot me another "something" that you want to have the ability to do or you want done. As far as DIRECT dialogue, you are one of, maybe 5 people, in the past year, that has shown me that they can begin to see the desktop environment the "way it truly is". I doubt that it is a coincidence that, for many years, I had a black desktop and standard icons as well. I think it is something fundamental about how we see it. As JUST, and ONLY utilitarian.

I dont see the "artsy" type splinterfaces as "artsy" I see them as nothing but utilitarian that is SO utilitarian that it allows for art to conform around its purpose. I think that most "desktop customizers"(the people, I mean), look at utility after their customization areas. Wrong route. For both them and the software.

NOW, i say this because you came up with several different ways to use Splinter, by initial understanding. And I believe that the only way that could have occurred is if you understood the completely utilitarian ability of hotlinking and function blending that would allow those other things to happen. See what I mean?

It is the understanding of utility functionality that LEADS to the understanding of "what is possible"...

And, while it MAY be true that this is understood by many on here, you are the only one that has given me really well thought out and valuable feedback and questions and requests (other than Oblivion. But he is more like the big meany head making me do all the boring stuff like eat my veggies aka do documentation so that "everyone" can understand or enjoy it. He is right, of course. But it doesn't mean that broccoli tastes good)...

So, Tao, cmon................You said "curses, round one goes to the developer". Well, I think I got round two, three, and four, also. Let us go 10. Every round I win only benefits you, so..................

dmd7978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Spli-Stuff Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #98 on: June 02, 2012, 12:53 AM »
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 02:42 AM by dmd7978 »

dmd7978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Spli-Stuff Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #99 on: June 02, 2012, 05:06 AM »
The images below show context menus and configuration windows and the definition and functionality of the buttons. Any advice on how to resize the images which can then be clicked for the larger image?
Tasktray Icon Properties

0tasktray.jpg

Trigger Properties

778.jpg]

Splicons and Splanime

Spllcons_N_Splanime.jpg]
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 05:12 AM by dmd7978 »