ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Blog comments - On of off?

(1/4) > >>

justice:
A good overview of advantages and disadvantages of not having comments on your blog, an approach more and more writers take.
For most people, a comment form is an essential part of what a blog is, and most of us enjoy the opportunity to leave feedback (even if we do so only rarely). But there are also plenty of possible reasons why comments are unnecessary, or undesirable.

--- End quote ---

<br>http://mattgemmell.com/2012/01/07/comments-commentary/

from http://s.vandragt.com/post/22314328616/blog-comments-on-or-off

TaoPhoenix:

Tough call.

I think it definitely depends on audience. Youtube comments are all over the map. "Explain xkcd"'s comments are really good.

Having successful comments feels like modern web. Maybe getting ticked off enough to feel you have to turn comments off might be "post-modern web", whatever that is.

Gwen7:
some people are more comfortable in the give & take of a discussion. others are only happy with a soapbox and the floor completely to themselves. much of Matt Gemell's concern seems to be about his always getting the last word in. which is fine. but his argument is self-serving and contradictory in places.

if you don't want to allow comments, don't enable them. but spare me the sneering and lame justifications. especially when you're quick to create strawmen, and take strong issue with somebody using the term 'bully pulpit.'

if the shoe fits...

methinks Matt Gemell doth protest a bit too much.

daddydave:
tl;dr because I have to go to work but it seems to me that many of  the best blogs seem to be a magnet for good commenters, and often the comments contribute as much or more than the article itself. I like to think a good blog cultivates good comments. I agree it depends on the content.

jaden:
I agree - some popular blogs have better content in their comments than they have in the original blog post.  Lifehacker was a great example of this.  They had some of the best commenters around (now not so much).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version