ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Blog comments - On of off?

<< < (3/4) > >>

barney:
Forum topics tend to be more loosely created.
-TaoPhoenix (May 04, 2012, 05:45 PM)
--- End quote ---
??????????????????
I'd guess we haven't been reading the same blogs  ;D.  Or forae for that matter  :P.

BTW, comments are comments, whether or no forae are involved.  But, in my experience, forum posts tend to stick more to the point than blog comments.  And attenuation is common to a great number of blog posts' comments.  That, after all, is one (1) of the reasons the blog comment/no comment question arises.

TaoPhoenix:
Forum topics tend to be more loosely created.
-TaoPhoenix (May 04, 2012, 05:45 PM)
--- End quote ---
??????????????????
I'd guess we haven't been reading the same blogs  ;D.  Or forae for that matter  :P.

BTW, comments are comments, whether or no forae are involved.  But, in my experience, forum posts tend to stick more to the point than blog comments.  And attenuation is common to a great number of blog posts' comments.  That, after all, is one (1) of the reasons the blog comment/no comment question arises.

-barney (May 04, 2012, 10:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sure - maybe excepting this topic, forum topics are "show me some music videos, NSFW humor, $%^%$^%$^%$ Copyright crap, and (for us) software app questions. In contrast, blogs are "articles" and the comments are supposed to mostly pertain to that article and stay in the same time zone as the topic. A funny example is Slashdot, where in one sense the articles are so bad that the comments are better! But even on a humble little blog, like Explainxkcd, the comments are really good, but they're *to the article*.

TaoPhoenix:

Actually, returning back to that "Potential Commission" web layout app, (which I am now looking elsewhere to do), an awesome experiment would be to have the same text on different web layouts, and watch the types of comments, from flowers to cars to landscapes to ye olde historie, etc.

rxantos:
I guess the division would be:
A. Discussion.
B. Advertisement.

On one you want to discuss an idea. On the other you want to promote an idea.

On one you care about what you audience think. On the other you only care that they hear you. I say hear, because you have no way to know if they are listening to you since they have no way to comment.

I usually don't bother with advertisement ones, unless is for things like news.

Tuxman:
On my "blog" (although I would never refer to it as a blog) I generally allow comments, only turned them off for one article where too much flame was posted.

While I really don't care if the things I write are of any interest for anyone (I mainly write because I like to), sometimes I get useful feedback, like failings in my research. (I had to correct some articles in the past because I leave my comments section open.)

However, maybe I am not the typical audience. About 150 daily readers (avg. value) are not really top of the world.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version