ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Blog comments - On of off?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Deozaan:
I agree - some popular blogs have better content in their comments than they have in the original blog post.  Lifehacker was a great example of this.  They had some of the best commenters around (now not so much).
-jaden (May 03, 2012, 11:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting. I recently saw an article on LifeHacker where the author said "F-You" to the commenters, making multiple ad-hominems to the readership at large, all while extolling the virtues of a comment-less system.

It may not have been LifeHacker, but it was definitely one of the Gawker sites.

EDIT: Found it. It was on Gizmodo: You Write 'Bias Journalism' and I Read 'Derp'

EDIT2: This is actually the article, written by the same person, extolling the virtues of no comments: Comments Are Bad Business for Online Media

rgdot:
I am not sure I can see many or any circumstances where comments are not a good idea. In a webmaster sense I would value comments higher than some analytics script telling me xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx spent 10-30s on your site. It is a proof of visitor engagement.

daddydave:
I agree - some popular blogs have better content in their comments than they have in the original blog post.  Lifehacker was a great example of this.  They had some of the best commenters around (now not so much).
-jaden (May 03, 2012, 11:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

I agree, Lifehacker is actually one of the main ones I had in mind when I wrote what I wrote.

EDIT: Found it. It was on Gizmodo: You Write 'Bias Journalism' and I Read 'Derp'

-Deozaan (May 03, 2012, 11:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

That was unbelievably painful to read.

I do agree that ""Bias" Is a Spectrum and We're All On It," though. I also agree that if you are the one who owns the web site, you have every right to moderate those people who seem to have been printed on a 3-D printer with human rear end as the material. Just try not to become one of them.

barney:
I'm kinda ambivalent on this one. 

On the one (1) hand, blog comments can engender some pretty lively conversations, trolls aside  :up:.  On the other hand, would blog comments detract from the forum topics  :down:?

Right now, I can search the forum topics, albeit in mine own clumsy fashion, and be reasonably certain I've covered whatever 'twas I sought.  If comments are enabled, now I have to search the blog articles, as well, and try to merge those results with the forum results.  Keeping the timeline accurate could be somewhat difficult - read nightmare - to accomplish  :o.

I guess I'd say, "No," to blog comments unless some methodology exists to merge them into forum conversations.

(Granted, I'm thinking of a DC blog, not blogs in general, but from what I've seen - in my own blog, as well as others - some degree of fragmentation and focus attenuation tends to occur, with comment references to other blog posts that are not directly quoted.  This dilution seems to happen to a lesser degree in forae.  (Well-l-l, depending upon how much I've had to drink  :P.))

TaoPhoenix:
I'm kinda ambivalent on this one. 

On the one (1) hand, blog comments can engender some pretty lively conversations, trolls aside  :up:.  On the other hand, would blog comments detract from the forum topics  :down:?

Right now, I can search the forum topics, albeit in mine own clumsy fashion, and be reasonably certain I've covered whatever 'twas I sought.  If comments are enabled, now I have to search the blog articles, as well, and try to merge those results with the forum results.  Keeping the timeline accurate could be somewhat difficult - read nightmare - to accomplish  :o.

I guess I'd say, "No," to blog comments unless some methodology exists to merge them into forum conversations.

(Granted, I'm thinking of a DC blog, not blogs in general, but from what I've seen - in my own blog, as well as others - some degree of fragmentation and focus attenuation tends to occur, with comment references to other blog posts that are not directly quoted.  This dilution seems to happen to a lesser degree in forae.  (Well-l-l, depending upon how much I've had to drink  :P.))
-barney (May 04, 2012, 05:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'll suggest that the whole topic says "comments" and not "blog comments where the site also has a forum".

Either way, the comments on an article are ... hopefully ... related to that article. Forum topics tend to be more loosely created.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version