ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Kickstarter Highlight: Amanda Palmer: The new RECORD, ART BOOK, and TOUR

(1/3) > >>

wraith808:
Amanda Palmer has had many success stories, including her celebration of the fact that she finally got dropped from a record label two years ago. She's gone against the grain, and done so quite lucratively, going where ever she wanted and having a lot of fun doing so.  But she decided it was time to do a "traditional" studio album again, and put together a full orchestra to help, while also planning to make the physical package she sells totally and completely worth buying by including all sorts of original artwork with it.

So... of course, she turned to Kickstarter to help put together funds, seeking $100,000 in 32 days. Instead, she got it in SIX HOURS.

Amanda Palmer: The new RECORD, ART BOOK, and TOUR  Kickstarter Highlight: Amanda Palmer: The new RECORD, ART BOOK, and TOURGoal$100,000 ($265,114 as of this posting)End Date2012-05-31Project Creator(s)Amanda PalmerExcerpthi folks, it's AFP. this is my first BIG, LEGIT studio album undertaking since breaking from a major label. i've spent four years writing the songs for this record, and more recently, putting together the perfect band, The Grand Theft Orchestra, comprised of genius musicians/arrangers/programmers MICHAEL MCQUILKEN, CHAD RAINES, and JHEREK BISCHOFF. in march, we locked ourselves up in a studio in Australia and, with the help of producer/engineer John Congleton (who's worked with a zillion amazing people including St. Vincent, Modest Mouse, and Xiu Xiu), we made what I believe is my best fucking album to date. it sounds...BEYOND EPIC. we laid down "The Bed Song", "Massachusetts Avenue", "The Killing Type", "Trout Heart Replica" and a slew of other tracks...some solo piano, but many featuring HORNS (locally sourced in Melbourne, Australia!), SYNTHESIZERS, GUITAAAARRRRR, and BIG BAD-ASS ORCHESTRAL ARRANGEMENTS that will blow your domepiece. we're working on finalizing the arrangements and mastering as i write this text. i expect great, big, giant things to happen when this record comes out in september. the band & i will be touring it across the globe ALL YEAR.

since i'm now without a giant label to front the gazillions of dollars that it always takes to manufacture and promote a record this big, i'm coming to you to gather funds so that i have the capital to put it out with a huge fucking bang. i think kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms like this are the BEST way to put out music right now - no label, no rules, no fuss, no muss. just us, the music, and the art. i'm also making sure EVERY PRODUCT sold through this kickstarter is unique to this campaign, to reward all of you who KNEW ME WHEN and were willing to support me from Day One.

tomos:
Wow, if you go to back it, you see that

* one person has donated $10,000+
* Eight people have donated $5,000+
Nice to see someone very creative doing well. But I guess that's why she's doing so well, because she's so creative, not only in the music.

wraith808:
Nice to see someone very creative doing well. But I guess that's why she's doing so well, because she's so creative, not only in the music.
-tomos (May 01, 2012, 01:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's what the RIAA don't get.  Look at her donation levels.  The digital version of her music (for the whole album!) is $1.  That includes bonus content.  But more(!!!) people have ponied up $24 extra for the hard copy.

(And I will say that offering vinyl is inspired!)

Stoic Joker:
people have ponied up $24 extra for the hard copy.-wraith808 (May 01, 2012, 01:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hell, I'm not even sure who she is and I'm tempted to buy one just to back her for bucking the system.

Somebody bump this thread in September when it goes on sale so I don't forget.

wraith808:
Was in this thread to get the template for another Kickstarter post, and wanted to post an update that I should have done a while ago:this Kickstarter drive ended with over $1,000,000 (!!!) in pledges.  She also has a pretty good breakdown on where everything goes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version