topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:29 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Program not retaining configuration  (Read 4367 times)

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Program not retaining configuration
« on: April 30, 2012, 08:23 PM »
  Got a mind twister that I'm working on and thought I'd post it here for any idea's.  I'm using XP SP3.
  I use a RAM and Cache optimizer called MemTurbo4.  For some reason, here lately it keeps resetting "Target Free RAM" to 707 Mb, when I had originally set it to 512 Mb.  On every boot it keeps going back to 707.  I uninstalled it, cleaned out my registry, then re-installed it, but it still keeps resetting to 707.  If I make changes, exit and restart it, it's back to 707 again.
  I went through the registry and every setting in there has 512, even when it's defaulted to 707.  I think it started doing this after the last MS update, which is pretty much normal, almost every update I have to go through the system and fix stuff like this.  Any idea's to why it keeps doing this?  I've used this program for years without a problem until recently.
  BTW, I went through the tech support for this software, which was bought out by another company, and they couldn't offer any help.  They didn't know their ass from a hole in the ground, but yet they still sell this program.  It is an awesome program, but I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND anyone buy MemTurbo4 just for this reason....No tech support  >:(

ha14

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Program not retaining configuration
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 04:18 PM »
well if your system needs 707MB to be efficient without failing then this can explain why you revert back to 707. You can try to uninstall and reinstall MemTurbo4 to see if this can solve the matter.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 04:45 PM »
It could also be beneficial to remove MemTurbo4 to see if the system is more stable without it. Software like this usually does a smoke and mirrors act, nothing useful.

There was another thread on this subject recently, with a better explanation, I'll try to find it. (edit: didn't find it, too many posts...)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 04:56 PM by Ath »

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 07:40 PM »
well if your system needs 707MB to be efficient without failing then this can explain why you revert back to 707. You can try to uninstall and reinstall MemTurbo4 to see if this can solve the matter.
  Uh.... My system can run all the way down to 0 Mb free and still work just fine, and I've used this program for years with it set at 512 Mb....
  And.....As stated in my first post, not only did I remove it from my system, I also cleaned out the registry of any mention of MemTurbo....

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 07:43 PM »
It could also be beneficial to remove MemTurbo4 to see if the system is more stable without it. Software like this usually does a smoke and mirrors act, nothing useful.

There was another thread on this subject recently, with a better explanation, I'll try to find it. (edit: didn't find it, too many posts...)
  Well, that's the whole reason I installed MT4, to improve the OS's handling of RAM and cache.  MT4 does an excellent job of this, has worked for years without a problem whatsoever.  Just recently it started defaulting to 707 Mb, I think sometime after one of those MS updates.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 04:48 AM »

Heven't seen anything about cache optimizing, but there was a very interesting & informative series of posts about memory use, by db90h, in this thread:
FreshMem
Tom

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 05:19 AM »
Heven't seen anything about cache optimizing, but there was a very interesting & informative series of posts about memory use, by db90h, in this thread:
[url=https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=30656.0]FreshMem
TY Tomos, that's the post I had in mind ;)