ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Simple means of joining images?

<< < (7/8) > >>

oblivion:
As soon as people start talking about layers, which I don't understand, the complexity of the software begins to loom large.
-rjbull (May 06, 2012, 11:05 AM)
--- End quote ---
In this context, just imagine that each time you drop an image into the workspace, it lands on a new sheet of clear acetate. As long as you keep the acetates separate from each other, you can slide them around without affecting the contents of any other acetate. The useful thing about layers it that they allow you to handle components of images separately from other components -- in other words, you can move things around with respect to each other without having to worry about bits getting intermingled in such a way that you can't undo it again. So you can resize and reposition each image with respect to all the others to your heart's content and if you don't want to you never have to do something that commits your changes irretrievably.

It took me quite a while to get comfortable with a layered approach, and I'm still occasionally confused by it but it's generally far less tricky than it appears as long as the software itself doesn't make moving between them and reordering them too complicated. (I still struggle with adjustment layers, but generally manage to live without them and you don't need them to do this sort of stuff anyway.)

Dormouse:
Snagit will do this easily.

Not sure you would really want to add another screen capture tool to your collection though.

rjbull:
In this context, just imagine that each time you drop an image into the workspace, it lands on a new sheet of clear acetate. [...]-oblivion (May 06, 2012, 12:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks!  That's the clearest explanation of layers that I've seen.  I still think it's more advanced than I want, but now I see a little clearer what the photoshop fans are driving at.

rjbull:
Snagit will do this easily.

Not sure you would really want to add another screen capture tool to your collection though.
-Dormouse (May 06, 2012, 02:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

I already have the free license for Snagit 7 that they gave away a few years ago  :)  It doesn't work for me on Vista, though, so it's not much use now.  And as you observe, I already have access to multiple alternatives...

MerleOne:
Please, is there a simple program that will allow me to butt-join graphic images together, much like you'd do with paper and glue?  This would be nice for things like before-and-after screenshots, etc.  The images might not always be the same size or shape.  I'd like full control over their positioning, and to save the composite result as a new graphic.

I thought this was what NANY 2012 Pledge & Release: Image Grid was, but it felt like a sliding-block puzzle and wasn't quite what I wanted.   
-rjbull (April 30, 2012, 03:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

I found a while ago, on GOTD : Total Image Slicer.  Reasonably easy to use and does just that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version