ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Simple means of joining images?

<< < (5/8) > >>

rjbull:
Thanks, folks, for the other suggestions too.

cyberdiva:
JSHOT allows you append screenshots together either beside or below when you take take the shot .
-hpearce (April 30, 2012, 04:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
HyperSnap also has this feature.
-cyberdiva (April 30, 2012, 10:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have a license for HyperSnap 6, but not the latest, 7.  Are you thinking of the "Multi-region capture," or something else?
-rjbull (May 02, 2012, 02:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
No, I'm talking about a feature under Capture Settings that allows you to paste each new capture to the one before it, either vertically or horizontally.  You can also set an optional margin between captures.  I think this may be a new feature of version 7, but I'm not sure.  At any rate, I've found it quite useful at times.

IainB:
I need to do this sort of thing all the time, exactly as @rjbull describes, and I do it in my main PIM - Microsoft OneNote-IainB (April 30, 2012, 04:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
Does OneNote allow you to save the composite as a new image, and/or send it to the clipboard?  Is there some "docking" tool that helps you line them up?
[Edit at UK time 2012-05-02, 20:49:-]You really had fun with that, didn't you?  :)
[/Edit]
-rjbull (May 02, 2012, 02:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

In answer to your Qs above:

* Does OneNote allow you to save the composite as a new image, and/or send it to the clipboard? Yes to both, and in alternative ways. I could explain it but you'd probably be best off trialling OneNote and seeing how it works yourself. A video on OneNote could help - would you like me to point you at some? There are some good ones on OneNote 2007. (I only have the 2007 version and don't know about 2011, but that'd probably be at least as good.)
* Is there some "docking" tool that helps you line them up? Yes, but I'm not sure I'd call it a "tool". It seems to be an inherent docking function, but it's difficult to discern how it works. OneNote uses sort of dynamic but invisible "canvasses"/containers for objects on a page. You can past or create image objects anywhere on the page and a container is created for them, so you can drag them around to overlap or align anywhere, at will. Very easy and smooth in use - redolent of Aldus/Adobe Pagemaker on the Mac, years ago. The user is largely unaware of this - the container concept in action seems to be unobtrusive and highly intuitive - e.g., it didn't hinder my doing all the things I did in the examples I created for you, above. So, for example, I could overlap objects, move an object to back/foreground, or butt join them on vertical or horizontal faces, etc.
Fun: Yes, it was fun! Your Q was an opportunity for me to play with OneNote's image and graphic (drawing) manipulation capability (which is also quite extensive).

oblivion:
The only one I have actually installed is PagePlus X6, which is probably usable for what I had in mind.  However, I was thinking of something smaller and simpler.
-rjbull (May 02, 2012, 02:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
PPX6 would probably work for you if your intended "final destination" was a printed page -- but (a) I assumed you were more screen-focussed and (b) I was trying to find a free solution that I'd be at least reasonably happy to use myself. :) Serif kit -- despite their marketing tactics and their occasionally overpushy salespeople -- is mostly pretty good. (You can always opt out of the emails!)

IainB's suggestion of OneNote looks good, but I'm not sure it's an appropriate solution to the problem if it's the only likely use you have for it and if you don't already have an Office license.

If you already have a PhotoPlus license for pretty much any version at all, you can use it to create a new, blank image then drag in images from Explorer or ScreenshotCaptor or whatever; each dropped image becomes a layer that you can manipulate independently of the others, with each layer being automatically named for the image's filename. (PhotoPlus also has screen capture capabilities, if you're in reductionist mode, although ScreenshotCaptor has elbowed everything else I've ever used for such purposes out of the way!) At any stage you can choose to merge all the visible layers into a single image, or you can leave the layers in place and export the visible layers into a normal graphic with the usual range of output formats.

Photofiltre might also be worth a look. It also optionally works with layers but it also has quite a nice facility (Assemble) that'll take the image on the clipboard and add it to the top, bottom, left or right of the current image. (v7 is free for private use.) In contrast to PhotoPlus, images dropped onto Photofiltre are handled separately so you would probably do the resize, then copy to clipboard, switch to the primary image then use the Assemble function.

Another possibility along similar lines is Fotografix. Smaller and less feature-rich but also layer-aware and the transform tool (for resizing layers) is easy to use (remember to shift-drag to constrain the image to its original proportions -- same as Serif in that respect.)

rjbull:
I have a license for HyperSnap 6, but not the latest, 7.  Are you thinking of the "Multi-region capture," or something else?-rjbull (May 02, 2012, 02:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
No, I'm talking about a feature under Capture Settings that allows you to paste each new capture to the one before it, either vertically or horizontally.  You can also set an optional margin between captures.  I think this may be a new feature of version 7, but I'm not sure.-cyberdiva (May 02, 2012, 04:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ah - and thanks, looks like it is in version 6: see screenshots.  Nice, though I'd still like more control.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version