ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

[Funding Project] - Low Budget PC's

<< < (2/5) > >>

wraith808:
Best wishes with your endeavor, Stephen!  You might look at this blog post on creating a Kickstarter campaign- it has a lot of information that you might find useful.  As it is, your offering is a bit spartan, and I'm not sure if it will draw the attention you might want/it might deserve.  Another thing that I see is that IndieGoGo seems to have changes so that the offering doesn't fail- you get all of the funds at the end of the drive.  This does have less obvious downsides - if there's no goal, people aren't really pressed to give.  The risk does give a reward.  Just a few insights I thought I'd offer- hope it helps!

TaoPhoenix:
More notes:
"Free Gift" sounds too much like generic sleazy marketing. That's one of the reasons I asked if you get to change that ad-copy or if it's stuck there by Indygogo.

More generally what's bothering me is that unlike a loan, this is "gimme money", where the only payback is some percent off in the store - which means spending more. And the last two options don't scale well *at all* - someone can get an entire PC for $1000 and a Netbook/Budget PC for $500. So "an amazing gift" at the $1,000 level threatens to cross over into scam territory at worst and the appearance of scam territory at best.

My instinct at this point is not to try to outgun the big box stores on price alone, but maybe hit the custom service side - we know what a scam Geek Squad is, so that's expertise that customers really need, and at legit rates, not $60 an hour. I could have used some consulting in my linux adventure over on the other thread rather than just going the blind guess route. So that leads into my suggestion for your value for the Indiegogo - maybe 3 hours of consulting for the $25 level and 8 hours of consulting for the $50 level.

Edit: maybe that rate schedule is a bit too aggressive, but the more I think of it the more it can give the appearance of a scam if you weren't a DC member. Maybe I've read too much O. Henry but straight up it looks like you just get to sit on $4000 of money doing nothing "awww, shame, I didn't meet my goal, so I won't start my business". The reason I made that rate schedule above so aggressive is to create a Wow factor where the donor essentially can't lose with a tech support coupon like that. Let's say they all sell at the $50 block level. "Yikes - you're in the hole for 800 hours!" - so since we all know starting a business isn't 9-5, 10 weeks at 80 hours a week will drill off that consulting and then the money is yours.

This next part is a guess: Are you unemployed right now? (Why else would you kickstart a business if you had a better job funding it?) So that's 4 weeks you can spend serving off the coupons while the kickstarter runs. But not everyone will cash all their coupons in - I'd save mine until I really needed it, which could be months away.

Gwen7:
i wish you the best of luck Stephen. i hope you don't give too much weight to the naysayers. and i'd ignore the cynics too. it's important to remember that those who try and fail still get more accomplished in their lifetimes than those who already *know* what isn't possible.  :-)

Renegade:
i wish you the best of luck Stephen. i hope you don't give too much weight to the naysayers. and i'd ignore the cynics too. it's important to remember that those who try and fail still get more accomplished in their lifetimes than those who already *know* what isn't possible.  :-)
-Gwen7 (April 30, 2012, 01:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1

TaoPhoenix:
I type a lot, but I'm not naysaying per se. More of "take the following steps to avoid potential trouble".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version