Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site November 29, 2014, 02:39:57 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the Practical Guide to DonationCoder.com Forum Search Features

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: research tool  (Read 1485 times)
kalos

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: April 29, 2012, 08:54:57 AM »

hello!

I want to research (gather information) on 20 subjects/questions. That means that for each subject/question, I will copy text from various sources, extract pdf pages, crop parts of pdf pages, copy images, tables, etc from the web, MS Office documents, etc, and put all of them together, so I will process them later, to produce a report/response to the subject/question.

Is there a software that can help me manage the research of those 20 subjects?

Maybe MS Word can do this, but:
- I want to easily go through the info I gathered for each subject, and not do endless scrolling (unless MS Word can create an outline or something, so when I click on a specific subject, to display the gathered material on that subject)
- I want to easily add material of various formats, pdf, images, tables, text, without any problem (eg without pdf text's format to break, etc)

any suggestion?

thanks!
c.gingerich
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 10:45:06 AM »

I use a very great app called WebResearch Pro 3. I think that it would work for what you are asking. http://www.macropool.com/en/products/webresearch/index.html

tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 11:06:02 AM »

@c.gingerich, WebResearch Pro looks very nice - can it save PDFs (or other filetypes) as well?

I will ... extract pdf pages ...
[..]
- I want to easily add material of various formats, pdf, images, tables, text, without any problem (eg without pdf text's format to break, etc)

you will probably have trouble with the PDFs (as usual Wink) - some PIMs will save a PDF within the file, or link to the file, but I've never heard of an app like this that will extract pages from a PDF. Copying text from a PDF is usually a disaster from the format point of view AFAIK.
But maybe someone will know of something out there that can help...

Tom
kalos

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 11:07:58 AM »

mmm

it seems interesting, but the first obstacle I encountered, is that I cannot import the subjects easily, I have to do it one by one (20++)

:/
c.gingerich
Supporting Member

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 11:18:17 AM »

Ah.. I see. I use it on the fly as I find things and such. I use Yahoo messenger and I can drag and drop  text from that.

rgdot
Supporting Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 11:57:35 AM »

I have never really needed extraction, but for example TreeProjects has a feature called 'special folder monitoring' where any file you drop into it will be imported into TreeProjects automatically and it has inline preview of PDF files.
kalos

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 12:06:41 PM »

TreeProjects and WebResearch seems to be about the same apps, how are such programs called? I want to search for other alternatives, in case I find something that fits me better

EDIT: I also found programs called outliners, that seem alot like what I need, any opinion?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 12:12:50 PM by kalos » Logged
joiwind
Participant

carpe momentum

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 12:16:20 PM »

@kalos : search for Knowledge Base or similar, that may be the sort of thing you're looking for ...
You could also check out Docear
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 01:06:50 PM by joiwind » Logged

.: I use K-Meleon - the browser you can control - but I love Pale Moon too :.
kalos

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 04:33:41 PM »

so far, from my research and tests, MyInfo seems to do the job nicely
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.029s | Server load: 0.16 ]