ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE: Simple Duplicate Folder Finder

(1/2) > >>

magician62:
There are many file finders out there, and many folder finders based on content, but I am looking for what should be something simple

I want to be able to automatically search defined locations,  for duplicate folder names, 1st level only, no recursion necessary.
Each duplicate is then prepended by a "+". There is no risk of collision as the searched folders can not have duplicates anyway.
There are currently over 12000 folders which are continually being added to

My concept
Define location by Windows library, or, Define location by Drive\Directory
If Windows library can be used, it already holds all the Drive\Directory locations, and if further locations are added to the library, they are effectively added automatically.

The locations can either be directly entered into a config file as they will in general, not change between sessions.

The minimum interface I can see is a start button and a finished notification

Where more than one instance of a filename exists , each gets prepended by a "+"

Example
Before
c:\My Search Folder1\Compare1
c:\My Search Folder1\Compare2
d:\My Search Folder2\Compare2
e:\My Search Folder3\Compare3

After
c:\My Search Folder1\Compare1
c:\My Search Folder1\+Compare2
d:\My Search Folder2\+Compare2
e:\My Search Folder3\Compare3

And that's it!

I am not looking for the major automation many utils provide, I am just looking for the folders the dupes may reside, so they can be physically checked. the "+" puts them at the top of the directory, and when physically checked, the duplicates not required are deleted, and the "+" removed from the remaining folder.

MilesAhead:
The only thing I found that looks like it may be close is this:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vfolderdups/files/

There's not much on description. I'm not going to install it to see exactly what it is. But it's a Windows installer so I'm assuming it's Win32 code.

Unless writing a file manager app most people aren't keen on providing code to delete folders/files. There's just too much potential for unhappiness with no real upside. I would try the freeware sites if this sourceforge utility is not it.

magician62:
Have to say, didn't like the Util, seemed to take ages installing. In fact it took longer to install/uninstall, than its actual life on the machine. Which sets the spider senses tingling :)

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to allow for multi drives, which is essential, but apparently can find duplicates if they are in different folders on the drive. Which as I know there are no duplicates on each drive, as all folders are in a single top level direcory, makes it pointless.

I have tried many duplicate finders over the years, though most look for exact dupes, and some patern matching. Unfortunately all those I have seen want you to process all the items in the list, rather than provide a simple tagging system so you can come back at a later time, or even share the load if networked.

The util I seek has no need to delete any folders or files, just rename them, (stick a "+" at the front)  I can do the deciding and deleting

MilesAhead:
I think you would have a better chance lobbying an existing file manager to add the feature. Also I took a look at working with the new Windows Seven Libraries. It's all COM based and a lot of work for a feature that will only work in Windows Seven. Pretty nasty spaghetti code.

skwire:
Just to clarify, this utility only needs to find and rename duplicate FOLDER names, right?  No FILE duplication matching whatsoever, correct?

If so, I've written a simple script that should do what you want but, obviously, it's only had minimal testing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version