ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Kickstarter Highlight: PennyGems

(1/3) > >>

wraith808:
I know a lot of people on here play boardgames, so I figured I'd post this Kickstarter...

PennyGems Goal$3,500 ($20,161 as of this posting)End Date2012-04-30Project Creator(s)Dave HowellExcerptUpgrade almost any board game by replacing the player markers or tokens that came in the box with PennyGems. They're dazzlingly shiny, feel solid yet sensual to the touch, are very easy to pick up off a table (because of their raised edges), are non-skid, stack surprisingly well, have a nice weight to them, and are incredibly durable. Each one has an icon on one side which ensures that people who are color-blind or visually impaired can still easily identify different kinds, and the symbols also establish a rank or order for the colors, should a game need that.

PennyGems are made by printing UV-resistant ink onto chrome mirror-like self-adhesive vinyl labels, then covering the label with a dome of space-age polyurethane. The polyurethane is non-yellowing, self-healing, extremely resistant to a wide range of chemicals, and very durable, while also being slightly flexible and very pleasing to the touch. Two of these labels are placed on a penny. The penny gives the PennyGem token a satisfying weight in the hand.

db90h:
Sounds like something KickStarter people would go for... $20k, that's insane. But, congratulations to whomever!

db90h:
bleh .. I'm sorry, it's just in a world where so many don't have what they *need* to survive ... sometimes I find the absurdities of consumer behavior appalling.

mouser:
finally a use for pennies.

db90h:
Pennies have for a long time cost more to produce than they are worth, but never fear - even if the penny dies, I'm sure nickels will work just fine. On the rest, I'm sorry, but seeing $20k go to penny gems, when they could feed.. I dunno.. starving neighbors .. well, whatever. It makes me want to scream though, and go back to my painted turtle business. I'm selling painted turtles for $100 a piece, for whoever wants one. Just bring me the turtle, the paint, and an artist... oh, and $100.. then I'll have your carefully assembled painted turtle together in no time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version