ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Cloud-storage - safe & secure? Consider Wuala (it's encrypted as well).

<< < (7/12) > >>

40hz:
These online storage providers can make all the security claims they want. Sad truth is, the game is over.

As things stand right now, it's basically pointless to be worrying too much about how truly secure any data is.

Any device which accesses, or data that can be accessed by a network, is either capable of being compromised - or is already compromised.

Happy New Year brave new world. :(

ericalynne:
IainB - I do not see an invitation in my email. This is what my team members said too. I would send out invites per wuala instructions and they do not receive them.

40hz, I am mostly just trying to get my business records functionally secure and all team members to see and work on documentation for the same clients so we all know what is going on. We are in the US, where the Hipaa laws wreak havoc with ordinary communication and electronic storage. I actually argue with the people who monitor my security. It is OK to send information by snail mail, but anyone can steal a letter, copy a letter, send it to someone else. A letter can get lost in the US postal service. Same for faxes. Who knows who else is in the office with the fax machine? So to me, the fact that someone can "break into" the data and steal it, it just more of the same. However, no one asks my opinion.  :)

Erica

ericalynne:
I found the invitation. It was in a wuala folder. Under "Notifications." This definitely solves at least one problem!

Once I accepted your invitation, the invitation disappeared. I accepted two invitations from IainB. But once I clicked out of notifications, I can no longer see IainB;s company and files. I saw them briefly as I accepted the invitation. Can't find them now.

If we can figure out how to get me to see IainB's files, then I may get this working after all.
Thanks! Erica

tomos:
I can give it a go later (say in 8 hours or so - only passing through now). Just downloaded it too - havent used it before.
-tomos (January 04, 2014, 03:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

have decided to not go with this - it installs java which I dont want. (I removed on both machines here after spending about 8 hours clearing a trojan from a friends laptop in the summer, I decided java wasn't worth the risk - have managed well without it so far.).

Best of luck working it out :up:

40hz:
40hz, I am mostly just trying to get my business records functionally secure and all team members to see and work on documentation for the same clients so we all know what is going on. We are in the US, where the Hipaa laws wreak havoc with ordinary communication and electronic storage. I actually argue with the people who monitor my security. It is OK to send information by snail mail, but anyone can steal a letter, copy a letter, send it to someone else. A letter can get lost in the US postal service. Same for faxes. Who knows who else is in the office with the fax machine? So to me, the fact that someone can "break into" the data and steal it, it just more of the same. However, no one asks my opinion.  :)

Erica
-ericalynne (January 04, 2014, 08:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hi Erica!

I both understand where you're coming from and fully agree with you.

Like you, I'm in the USA. My client base is primarily in the regulated financial (i.e. brokerage, mortgage, fund) and legal sectors. So security and privacy is both a moral and legal concern when it comes to data and communications.

I only mentioned that nothing can be considered secure any longer because of the depths the meddling on the part of the NSA has reached. This meddling goes far beyond data intercepts and decryption efforts. The NSA's agenda has completely undermined security - and put all of us at greater risk - in order to make their own work and mission creep easier.

At this point we know that encryption algorithms, random number generation, national standards institutes, secure transmission layer technologies and protocols - along with commercial operating systems, security products and hardware have all been compromised in the name of "national security."

I actually asked a brokerage association (and later my local bar association) how to address their guidelines for security and privacy protection in light of what’s been going on. Their answer was: we don't know. Both refused to respond to my question as to whether it was even possible for their members to meaningfully assert compliance with existing state and federal laws regarding client privacy and data security since it is now obvious the entire underpinnings of their systems are pwned - and have been for approximately the last 10 years.

I think you hit the nail when you said "functionally secure." Which I would interpret to mean: Effectively safe from everyone - except the US government.

As it stands, you're absolutely right. That's about as secure as we can be.  For now.

-ed

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version