ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Cloud-storage - safe & secure? Consider Wuala (it's encrypted as well).

(1/12) > >>

IainB:
One issue that seems to persist in discussions in the DC Forum relating to aspects of cloud-storage is the safety/security of your data whilst it is in cloud-storage.
These discussions sometimes referred to Wuala, which has been discussed quite a bit on the DC forum, but seems to have been mainly "in passing".
I found some interesting links on this post: SkyDrive storage space land grab for grandfathers
One of them was in reference to Wuala.

So, today I followed the link in sciencetext and took a look at the Wuala site: Wuala - FREE 6Gb offer.

And I watched the simple Wuala - Promo Video
It's about a guy (John) who is concerned about his data security, after being bitten. (Maybe his data was on dotcom, or something, and he lost it all.)
Wuala looks like it is good tech and encrypted as well.

More choices!     :)

KynloStephen66515:
So, today I followed the link in sciencetext and took a look at the Wuala site: [/b]l/KKB5A56HF4F7CMCJ7F4G]Wuala - FREE 6Gb offer.
--- End quote ---

:huh:

Broken?

IainB:
Sorry!      :(
Link now fixed.      :)

KynloStephen66515:
Sorry!      :(
Link now fixed.      :)
-IainB (April 28, 2012, 11:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

:D

db90h:
There is a *huge* difference between 'encryption' and 'client-side encryption', the latter being when the CLIENT generates and controls the key. The latter is available only at Carbonite, afaik, though maybe this service supports it, and that's what you are saying.

Even Google Drive does not offer client controlled encryption. If this service offers that, then the encryption 'counts'. Otherwise, the encryption is just useful en-route, as when stored on their servers it is stored right along side the decryption key.

Of course, the issue with clients controlling their own key is obvious -- they are likely to lose it, its harder to make things 'just work', etc.. However, for me, that's a pre-requisite to storing anything I wouldn't want publicly broadcast. For standard stuff that doesn't matter much, I don't care.. but for private things, you definitely have to control the encryption key.

Yes, you can encrypt then upload to any service, but then you must download and decrypt it to access the data, making the process a lot more cumbersome than a system that lets you generate and use a local key seamlessly.

I suspect that law enforcement is actively engaged in trying to deter these cloud storage services from offering true client side encryption, as it makes their jobs a bit harder in some cases.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version